Sella Malin's Reviews > Inkdeath

Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke

** spoiler alert ** Wow. Wow! I'm speechless. Wow. Gah, I don't know what to say. Let me first let out a scream of stunned glee ...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, now that that's over with, I'll get on with the review. XD First, I have to say ... INKDEATH IS SOOO A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I could not tear my eyes away from the pages when I was reading it, and the whole time, my heart was pounding so hard ... Inkdeath is crazily exciting and thrilling. And there are so many genius plot twists, it's incredible! It's so different than the two other books in the trilogy, and that's one of the reasons why this is my favorite of all three.

There is so much amazing character development. Cornelia Funke has always been a queen of characters, but in Inkdeath, she definitely branches out and develops her well-loved characters to an astounding extent. In Inkheart and Inkspell, Resa was a bit flat; the kind, caring, sweet mother that looked out for her husband and daughter. But Funke really gives her a lot of depth in Inkdeath. She becomes a hero, instead of always being the one who sits out and watches the action unfold. She shows us all these sides that we never could have guessed of: her fiercely independent side, her firm stubbornness (now we know where Meggie got it from), her internal struggles – even all her flaws. I love how she has the courage and independence to go against her husband and wife and try to find a way for them to go back home. I really enjoyed getting to know Resa better, and watching her turn from a flat character to the three dimensional one she is now.

Mo's transformation into the Bluejay is amazing. He reveals a whole different side of him that I never knew he had. Who would have guessed that the quiet, loving bookbinder could also be the brave, noble, cold-blooded Bluejay? It's amazing how much Mo changes from Inkspell to Inkdeath ... in Inkspell, he kept telling everyone he wasn't the Bluejay, and he kept refusing the part. But in Inkdeath, he becomes the Bluejay, and he embraces the character as himself. Already in the first chapters, he is going out at night and killing, and he even considers himself to be the Bluejay. In Inkspell, I never would have guessed that Mo was actually going to turn into the Bluejay! Or was the Bluejay always a part of him, and he was just letting it free? What came first: Mo or the Bluejay? Who knows. Either way, it's so cool how much Mo changes. It's funny how at the beginning of Inkdeath, I want Mo to stop being the Bluejay, but when he finally stops at the end, I'm sad.

Dustfinger changes a lot when he comes back from the dead, and in my opinion, it's for the better. Yes, he has always been a very round, three-dimensional character, but I've always hated him. He was selfish, he only did things for himself, he only helped others if he could get something out of it, and he was always only concerned about his own agenda. Plus, I'd never really forgiven him for betraying Mo and Meggie at the beginning of Inkheart and leading Capricorn to them. And I hated him for always leaving Roxane and Brianna and going off doing whatever. When Dustfinger comes back to life in Inkdeath, I change from hating him to loving him. He isn't selfish anymore, and he doesn't hate Mo so unfairly. In fact, he and Mo are very close, so close that they can feel the other's emotions, which I think is really cool. I love how he always follows Mo and protects him. And the new things he can do with fire are awesome. Dustfinger definitely changes for the better.

Farid, on the other hand, changes for the worse. In Inkspell, he was the sweet, caring, kind boy who was head over heels in love with Meggie. In Inkdeath, he is a total selfish jerk. He only cares about rescuing Dustfinger – he's way too obsessed with that, actually. He barely cares about Meggie anymore, even though he used to be in love with her, and he actually cheats on her countless times with a bunch of maids. That moron has no sense of faith! By the middle of Inkdeath, I'm ready to jump into the book and punch him. I'm so glad that Meggie chooses Doria over Farid. I would have probably killed her if she chose Farid. Doria is so much nicer, and Farid doesn't deserve Meggie. It makes me kind of sad, though, when I remember how sweet Farid and Meggie were together in Inkspell. It makes me frustrated; wasn't Farid the one who was in love with Meggie!?! Ah well.

Violante really grows and develops in Inkdeath. In Inkspell, she was pretty flat; we didn't know much about her personality, and she didn't have that big of a role. But in Inkdeath, she has a huge part, and I like that. She shows herself to be strong and independent and clever. She's a great character. It's interesting how she's in love with the Bluejay, but hopefully she'll get over it now, because what Fenoglio said is true: she's not actually in love with Mo himself, but the part that he played.

Okay, let's talk about Meggie. She has no part at all in Inkdeath – and I love that. Okay, maybe Meggie's nice, but let's face it; she's always been a pretty boring, flat main character. So it's quite a relief to have other, more interesting characters be the main characters of Inkdeath – their views are much more exciting than Meggie's, and I love taking a look through all their eyes. Also, I was quite tired of Meggie always being the one to save the day. So I'm really glad that different people saved the day this time – that Mo and Resa and Dustfinger got their chance. I'm glad that she isn't the center of attention this time, and that I get to understand other characters better.

The scene where Mo talks to Death is so cool. Funke portrays Death in such a creative way; I never would have imagined Death as a shape-shifter, or with a woman's voice. That's one of my favorite scenes in the book.

I love the Black Prince, but I'm disappointed that he doesn't do much in this book. He basically stays behind while Mo does everything. Ah well.

I love how the climax of the book is set in the Castle in the Lake. That castle is really cool, and it lets us see Violante's history. We find out a lot about her mother, which we didn't know much about before (and who would have guessed that Violante's mother was actually in love with the Adder? I still don't see how she could have fallen in love with that snake ...). Plus, it's nice that the action is happening at a different place than the Ombra Castle or the Castle of Night.

I hate Orpheus SO much. Every single time I see him in the book, I want to leap into the pages and beat that son of a female dog to a pulp. Many times I wanted to chuck the book at the wall and stop reading because of him. I hate his stupid, sadistic, conceited, selfish, greedy butt SO much. I would have HAPPILY killed him. Slooowwwllyyy. And I would have enjoyed every second of it. (No, I am not a sadist. Shut up. Only Orpheus makes me like this. :P) Most of the bad things that happen in Inkdeath are because of him. And it was so disgusting, the way he was using the maids. Pedophile! Through the whole book, I was waiting and waiting for Mo or at least someone to kill him, but nooooo! Instead he gets to run off skipping into the sunset, unharmed! (Well, it's not really the sunset – more like the cold mountains. And I doubt he's skipping. But still. AGH!) Darnit, Cornelia, why couldn't you have just killed him! C'mon, it wouldn't have taken more than a few minutes! I mean, you've already killed so many people in Inkdeath, what's one more to you? I hope he freezes to death in the mountains. No, that's too nice of a death for him. I hope he reaches another village, tries to trick them and get wealthy, but they burn him at the stake. And he has a long, painful death in which he realizes that he is actually a terrible and pathetic person, and that Mo is so much better than him. YES!! THAT WOULD BE PERFECT!! :D GO DIE, ORPHEUS!!! YOU SUCK AT WRITING AND AT READING!! HAA!! TAKE THAT, YOU STUPID DOG!! YOU CAN'T WRITE, YOU CAN ONLY STEAL THE WORDS OF A WRITER THAT'S BETTER THAN YOU!! HAVE WE EVER SEEN YOU WRITE WITHOUT USING FENOGLIO'S WORDS?? HUH?? HUH?? NO, DIDN'T THINK SO. HAA!! SO GO DIE!!!! Okay, I think I'm done now. Yay. That felt good.

I don't like Fenoglio much, either. Okay, yeah, he's nicer than Orpheus (EVERYONE is), but that's not saying much at all. He's almost as vain and arrogant as Orpheus, and he always really irritates me. It really bugs me how he barely writes a word in all of Inkdeath for Meggie to read to make things turn for the better. The whole time where he's just drinking and feeling sorry for himself, I want to slap him, and even when he stops drinking, he doesn't even write at all. It makes me want to scream at him, “WHO'S STORY IS THIS, YOU CRAZY OLD MAN? YOURS! IT'S YOUR STORY, ISN'T IT? SO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!” But nooo. He's a totally useless character in this book.

The thing about how Fenoglio wrote a different story about the grown-up Doria is so amazing! I think it's really interesting that Doria's story isn't published, but it still is included in the Inkworld. Which shows that a story doesn't have to be published to come to life, and I love that message. :)

I was always sad how Dustfinger loved Brianna, but she hated him. It hurt whenever Brianna referred to Dustfinger as “The Fire-Dancer,” instead of her father, and when Brianna never seemed to care that her father was dead. But at the end of Inkdeath, she starts to accept him as her father, when he saves her from the Night-Mare, and I really like that.

Also, Violante and Jacopo have always hated each other, but at the end of Inkdeath they start to warm up to each other. I love the hints that Funke gives us – how Jacopo calls Violante “mother” for the first time, and how Violante puts her arm around her son.

There are so many astonishing plot twists that sweep me off my feet (in a good way) in this book ... Violante offering Mo her alliance; Violante being in love with the Bluejay; Mo visiting Death and making a bargain with her (I never would have expected Death to actually be personified and revealed as a character in this story, so I didn't know what to think when Mo went into the world of the dead – and I was stunned right out of my skin when Mo met Death); Dustfinger coming back to life (I was convinced that he was going to stay dead, forever, so it's a huge surprise when Mo brings him back into the world with him); the whole thing with Meggie falling out of love with Farid and in love with Doria; Mortola coming back and allying herself with Orpheus; her turning into a magpie; Resa turning into a swift; Basta's spirit being the Night-Mare (I thought Night-Mares were just nameless creatures, so it came as quite a shock. I'm so glad that Dustfinger kills it; I've always thought that Dustfinger should have been the one to kill Basta, not Mo.) ...

But the biggest and most shocking plot twist of them all is definitely Jacopo's part in the conclusion of Inkdeath. Jacopo is the last person I would have expected to help Mo kill the Adderhead – which is why I love the fact that he does. I love when minor characters turn into major characters. And it makes perfect sense why he does it ... at the end of the book, we can see that Jacopo is changing. He's still snobby and bratty and self-centered, but he doesn't idolize his grandfather or the Piper anymore, and he begins to hate them. And, he starts to feel affection towards his mother. That's why he changes heart and helps Mo. This makes me really respect and view him differently; I used to hate him, but after what he does, I almost feel affection towards him.

I think it's really cool how Mo writes the three words in the book, how Jacopo distracts the Piper. It's so suspenseful and intense when Mo writes each word, then gets distracted after each. That's my favorite part in the book (besides the scene where Mo meets with Death); my heart was beating so fast at those moments! It's so dramatic.

And I love how the words to kill the Adderhead are the three titles of the book, in order: heart, spell, and death. It ties the book titles' together and makes sense why the books are called what they are. However, I just recently found out that when Cornelia originally wrote the book in German, she called the second book “Inkblood” instead of “Inkspell.” So in that case, did the translator not only change the title from “blood” to “spell,” but also the words that the kill the Adder from “heart, BLOOD, and death” to “heart, spell, and death?” It makes more sense that way ... but why did they change it?

What's up with the White Woman that writes something about Mo and gives it to Meggie? We never actually find out what is written on there, Meggie only says that it's “the Bluejay's last song” and that it's a happy ending for him or something. I don't get it. Did the White Woman write something for Meggie to read, so that Mo's story would end happily – so does that mean that the good outcome of the events at the Castle in the Lake are because of Meggie? But we never actually saw Meggie read, and she never said so ... so did the White Woman just show Meggie what was going to happen, so she wouldn't worry? But why would the White Woman do that – wouldn't she just let Meggie find out when Mo came home safe? Plus, why did the White Woman care so much about Mo?

The last line of the chapter before the epilogue is awesome. But even though Farid is a jerk and totally deserves Meggie to leave him, it still makes me kind of sad ... because I remember the days in Inkspell when Farid and Meggie were together, and that was so sweet ... *sigh* oh well.

I love the epilogue. Meggie's brother seems so cute. It's so cool how he longs to go to the real world, just like Meggie once longed to go to the Inkworld. The last line of the book is so cool; it kind of makes you feel like the story is going back to the beginning again, except reversed. I love indefinite endings. :D

I'm kind of disappointed that the Folcharts don't go back to the real world (Doria with them, of course), but I guess they really do love the Inkworld ... and I admit, I fell in love with the Inkworld myself, too. So I can hardly complain. :D No, I'm actually happy that they stay.

One thing I really love about this trilogy is how Cornelia Funke puts quotes from other books at the beginning of each chapter, quotes that sort of have to do with what goes on in each chapter. They're interesting, and I always get a pleasant jolt when she puts a quote from a book that I've read. :D

Cornelia Funke's characters really impress me. Her ability to create such realistic and believable characters is astounding. Every single one of her characters are so round and complex and three-dimensional, and they're all so lifelike! It's not just that ... they all mature and develop and grow so much over the three books. Only a highly skilled writer can do that.

What really amazes me is that Cornelia Funke wrote the book in German, so the English edition is written by a translator – and it has such an amazing writing style! The books are one of the most well-written ones I've ever read. But usually when a book gets translated, the writing style isn't that great, because the pretty prose usually gets lost when someone else takes them and transfers them to a different language. Not in this case! Either Cornelia Funke is such a great writer that her style shines even through the tampering of translation, or the translator is a great writer herself! It's probably a mixture of both.

Another thing is, I feel like the book drags on for way too long. There are long periods of time in which nothing seems to happen, or the events just get stretched out and out. Sometimes I felt like the book was never going to end. The book doesn't flow well. When I try to remember the first half of the book, it feels hazy, and it feels like I'm remembering it from a book before Inkdeath. Funke should have cut Inkdeath in half and made it into two separate books, in my opinion. That would have made it much easier. Or at least, she should have made it much shorter! There are many unnecessary scenes, and the ones that are necessary go on for forever.

I didn't like how Meggie's ambition to be a writer just kind of dropped after the first book. What happened to her wanting to be like Fenoglio and write her own words that she can read aloud? In Inkdeath, she doesn't even think of that ambition again! It's like someone totally erased it in her mind, or Funke didn't think it was important anymore ...which really frustrates me. I thought it was really cool that Meggie wanted to be a writer, so why did that have to spill out the window?!?

Also, I think the whole Brianna/Cosimo thing is weird. First of all, I thought it was kind of gross when they were in love in Inkspell, because he's like, way older than her (it never actually says how old Cosimo is, but I've always thought of him as being, like, 20, while Brianna is 15. Pedophile, anyone?) plus he was MARRIED to Violante, so he was cheating on his wife with her own maid! Plus, what I really didn't get was that Violante knew about it, and she wasn't doing anything. What the hell?!? (I mean, Brianna was spending her nights with Cosimo, for crying out loud! What does that tell you?) So I don't get at all why Violante forgives Brianna for cheating on her with her husband and why she lets Brianna come back to her. I would have punched her for even asking to come back! Ugh.

Sometimes I feel like there's too much going on in the story. There are too many subplots (so many that sometimes I forget what the main plot is), too many back stories, and definitely too many villains. There's way too many conflicts to keep track of them all, and with all these different villains with all their different agents, and all these different heroes with all their different agendas, I found myself getting many headaches as I was struggling to keep up with the crazy tangle going on in Inkdeath. And not all the villains are even that great, either. I mean, the Piper and Orpheus and Mortola are great villains, but the Milksop is a boring, flat one ... and the Adderhead is such a lame villain in Inkdeath. Sure, in Inkspell he was a great villain, but he loses all his magic in Inkdeath, and just turns into an annoying old man. I kind of feel the same about Mortola – she was a great villain before, but in Inkdeath she just becomes really annoying, and there isn't really any point to her in this book. She doesn't do much, and she just ends up dying anyway before she can cause any harm or anything.

Okay, enough of the things I didn't like about it...

I really love the theme of Inkdeath: the message that it is not the author who controls the story, but the characters and the story itself. This is basically the theme of the whole trilogy. The story and characters will do what they want, whether the author likes it or not, and it is in fact the story and characters that control the author, not the other way around. This is so true; every writer learns that the hard way (I'm talking from experience. Erp. ><) I think this is the coolest theme a book has ever portrayed.

All in all, this is an amazing ending to the trilogy, and I'm glad that Cornelia Funke finished it this way; it's perfect. I love this series so much, and it's now one of my top favorites. It's a great story not only for book lovers, but for writers, too. I'm definitely going to keep these three books and take them with me wherever I go. I'll definitely go on re-reading and re-reading them, and I know this is one of those series's that I'll be reading even when I'm an adult.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkdeath.

Quotes Sella Liked

Cornelia Funke
“Blue as the evening sky, blue as cranesbill flowers, blue as the lips of drowned men and the heart of a blaze burning with too hot a flame. Yes, sometimes it was hot in this world, too. Hot and cold, light and dark, terrible and beautiful, it was everything all at once. It wasn't true that you felt nothing in the land of Death. You felt and heard and smelled and saw, but your heart remained strangely calm, as if it were resting before the dance began again.

Peace. Was that the word?”

Cornelia Funke
“perhaps because this time not fear but love made him read.”

Cornelia Funke
“I wish you luck,' she said, kissing him on the cheek. He still had the most beautiful eyes of any boy she'd ever seen. But now her heart beat so much faster for someone else.”

Cornelia Funke
“She had found him and was bringing back his thanks. Nor did she forget to mention that he had assured her that she was indeed the most beautiful fairy he had ever set eyes on.”

Cornelia Funke
“Go back and rid the word of that book. Fill it with words before spring comes, or winter will never end for you. And I will take not only your life for the Adderhead's but your daughter's, too, because she helped you bind the book. Do you undersand, Bluejay"
Why two?" asked Mo hoarsely. "How can you ask for two lives in return for one?”

Cornelia Funke
“you can not fully read a book without being alone. But through this very solitude you become intimately involved with people whom you might never have met otherwise, either because they have been dead for centuries or because they spoke languages you cannot understand. And, nonetheless, they have become your closest friends, your wisest advisors, the wizards that hypnotize you, the lovers you have always dreamed of.
-Antonio munoz molinas, "the power of the pen”

Cornelia Funke
“And he will have a great aunt called Elinor who tells him there's a world not like this one. A world with neither fairies nor glass men, but with animals who carry their young in a pouch in front of their bellies, and birds with wings that beat so fast it sounds like the humming of a bumblebee, with carriages that drive along without any horses and pictures that move on their own accord... She will tell him that even the most powerful men don't carry swords in the other world, but there are much, much more terrible weapons there...She will even claim that the people there have built coaches that can fly...So the boy will think that perhaps he'll have to go alone one day, if he wants to see that world...Because it must be exciting in that other world, much more exciting than in his own...”

Cornelia Funke
“Who are you?' Mo looked at the White Women. Then he looked at Dustfinger's still face.
Guess.' The bird ruffled up its golden feathers, and Mo saw that the mark on its breast was blood.
You are Death.' Mo felt the word heavy on his tongue. Could any word be heavier?”

Cornelia Funke
“Women were different, no doubt about it. Men broke so much more quickly. Grief didn't break women. Instead it wore them down, it hollowed them out very slowly.”

Cornelia Funke
“Because by now Elinor had understood this, too: A longing for books was nothing compared with what you could feel for human beings. The books told you about that feeling. The books spoke of love, and it was wonderful to listen to them, but they were no substitute for love itself. They couldn't kiss her like Meggie, they couldn't hug her like Resa, they couldn't laugh like Mortimer. Poor books, poor Elinor.”

Cornelia Funke
“Weren’t all books ultimately related? After all, the same letters filled them, just arranged in a different order. Which meant that, in a certain way, every book was contained in every other!”

Cornelia Funke
“How fast the ears learned to tell what sounds meant, much faster than it took the eyes to decipher written words.”

Cornelia Funke
“Elinor had read countless stories in which the main characters fell sick at some point because they were so unhappy. She had always thought that a very romantic idea, but she’d dismissed it as a pure invention of the world of books. All those wilting heroes and heroines who suddenly gave up the ghost just because of unrequited love or longing for something they’d lost! Elinor had always enjoyed their sufferings—as a reader will. After all, that was what you wanted from books: great emotions you’d never felt yourself, pain you could leave behind by closing the book if it got too bad. Death and destruction felt deliciously real conjured up with the right words, and you could leave them behind between the pages as you pleased, at no cost or risk to yourself.”

Cornelia Funke
“She read and read and read, but she was stuffing herself with the letters on the page like an unhappy child stuffing itself with chocolate. They didn’t taste bad, but she was still unhappy.”

Cornelia Funke
“He saw so many emotions mingled on her face: anger disappointment, fear – and defiance. Like her daughter, thought Fenoglio again. So uncompromising, so strong. Women were different, no doubt about it. Men broke so much more quickly. Grief didn’t break women. Instead it wore them down, it hollowed them out, very slowly.”

Cornelia Funke
“Nothing is more terrifying than fearlessness.”

Cornelia Funke
“Hope. Nothing is more intoxicating.”

Cornelia Funke
“Orpheus. Had the name he had taken ever suited him better? But he would be wilier than the singer whose name he had stolen. He would indeed. He would send another man into the realm of Death in the Fire-Dancer's place-and he'd make sure that he didn't come back.”

Cornelia Funke
“A longing for books [is] nothing compared with what you [can] feel for human beings. The books [tell] you about that feeling. The books [speak] of love, and it [is] wonderful to listen to them, but they [are] no substitute for love itself.”

Finished Reading
August 2, 2009 – Shelved
August 7, 2009 –
page 282
42.53% "HATE farid, such a jerk! HATE orpheus too, who does he think he is? but i <3 dustfinger now. & the scene when mo spoke to death was SO cool!"
August 8, 2009 –
page 300
45.25% "oopsies. i just read the list of characters at the back of the book, and it spoiled a bunch of stuff for the ending ... darnit. >.<"

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Mounica (last edited Aug 11, 2009 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mounica Wow, long review, but I read it. :D And it was good too. You totally nailed the character development. :)

Sella Malin Haha thanks! :) I didn't even realize how long it was until I stopped typing and scrolled up ... then I was like "whoooaaa." 0.0 lol I guess I had a lot to say. :D

Kritika I was so close to reading Inkdeath (it was sitting in my room for weeks) but then I had to return it to the library because someone else had it on hold... grrr!
I read part of your review and now I'm just itching to get my hands on it again: this time I'll read it first!
I read so many negative reviews that I almost didn't want to read it anymore. Thanks for shedding some positive light on it!

Sella Malin Kritika wrote: "I was so close to reading Inkdeath (it was sitting in my room for weeks) but then I had to return it to the library because someone else had it on hold... grrr!
I read part of your review and now ..."

Oh, you shouldn't have read my review, it spoiled a lot! I'm sorry. :(

But I'm glad my review encouraged you to read it. Inkdeath is SOOO amazing, and SO worth it! :D

Kritika Sella wrote: "Kritika wrote: "I was so close to reading Inkdeath (it was sitting in my room for weeks) but then I had to return it to the library because someone else had it on hold... grrr!
I read part of your..."

I have finally read Inkdeath! Yes, it was absolutely amazing as you said, and I found myself thinking all the same things as what you said in your review.
I was rather annoyed with Meggie for just moping through the whole book, like Fenoglio, until she magically decides to fall for Doria. Doria wasn't even a very well developed character (though the premise of him coming from another story was cool)! Mo was really the star of this book, and it was interesting to see him battling his old self and new self.
There are definitely too many villians and subplots, but the Piper and Orpheus are definitely the most sinister. I hated Orpheus soooo much after reading Inkdeath, and I'm kind of mad that no one killed him. Yes, let's leave this murderous, manipulating, selfish little cheeseface to wreak havoc on Inkworld at a later date: that makes no sense. It was also confusing trying to keep track of the thousands of characters that Funke managed to create. I'm amazed that she was able to come up with and substantiate so many characters and subplots.
Overall, it was one of those few books that ends a series with a bang, a book that makes you smile as you turn the last page.

Elizabeth Engstrom I agree with you ninety eight percent. I disagree with the too many villains and disliking Dustfinger. I really liked Dustfinger from the start. I mean, it annoyed me that he betrayed them, but he did it because he missed his home. And after reading Inkspell and inkdeath, I would miss it too. About the villains, I think the villains were great. I thought that they fit perfectly with the plot. I also think that the way the adderhead was changing into an old man was great. It really showed how smart mo is. And it made it interesting to see some of the minor villains become the main ones.

message 7: by Erin (last edited Nov 26, 2014 08:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Woo Wow. Your review is fantastic (and amazingly thorough). I like how you discussed the characterizations of so many of the main characters, and you did so pretty much perfectly. I especially love your insight about Doria's origins. As an aspiring writer myself, it's a nice reminder that publication isn't all that much more than a label, and that it's the story that counts. Like you, I also wish that Meggie had kept up her dream of becoming a writer. Since she didn't often have the opportunity to directly participate in the action, writing (new songs for the Bluejay, for example) would have given her the chance to influence the story, especially when Fenoglio was too drunk or too lazy to write (that bothered me so much, too!). The scene where the White Women come to give Meggie the Last Song of the Bluejay was kind of weird and random by comparison as opposed to a potential subplot in which Meggie grew as a writer.. I understand that the White Women were invested in making sure that the Adderhead couldn't cheat Death, but that seemed a little too active for them. I wish that scene could have been Meggie standing up and making a difference instead.

There are only a couple of aspects that I disagree with you about. First, I actually really liked the complexity of Inkheart and how there were so many plots and subplots. In my opinion, it added to the idea that the world of a book is more intricate than a single author's vision, and it showed how, even though there's these huge overarching conflicts with the Adderhead and the Piper going on in the Inkworld, there are still regular people going about their lives and facing their own problems as well. In this vein, I don't feel like there really has to be a main plot, per se. Certain plot lines may impact more people than others, but that doesn't necessarily mean that any one has to take precedence. Also, I do think that it's realistic for Mo and the others to let Orpheus escape into the mountains. Imagine that you're Mo: you've just escaped, in a way, from your role as the Bluejay, since the major threat of the Adderhead is gone, and I don't think that you would be all to keen to take up your sword again. (We can see in the epilogue that Mo's stowed it away and reverted to his role as a bookbinder.) I think it would have appealed to his sense of compassion as well to give Orpheus a second chance (although personally, I would totally have loved a violent, painful death for Orpheus, as he was easily my least favorite character in the whole series).

Andrea that was the longest review I ever read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sort of like spoiler alerts it makes me more interested into reading the book

The Mockingbird Girl I’m halfway through the book right now and I’m too depressed to go on, so I thought I’d read some reviews. Yours was very helpful, (Dang it, I knew it would be stupid Doria. Stupid Farid. Arrrrgh.) and I love long reviews of books I enjoy.

Gretchen McLaughlin We literally have all the same opinions. Orpheus is the first to make it onto my "Umbridge shelf" where all the worst characters go. Farid was infuriating in this book. The best scenes were by far the Death scene and the scene where Mo writes the three words. Sooo cool!! This book doesn't get the attention it deserves, especially with such a beautiful writing style