Nisha's Reviews > The Pretender

The Pretender by Celeste Bradley

Aug 02, 2009

bookshelves: historicalromance, spies-do-it-better

A spy regency. I should have known. I should have known better than to let my fascination of how chimney sweep/thief/spy Simon Rain would look, if I caught him and dragged him around to be my husband. Delicious, is what I think. Ms. Bradley really did try hard to make something of the spy business, but with a name like the 'Liar's Club' I couldn't really get past a schoolboy clubhouse. And it was Simon's incredible consuming obsession with Agatha, that held me from truly respecting this novel. I loved the stupid banter between them, though I would have expected more intelligance from those Brits, especially the smart variety. The villainess was terrible. Why? Because she was a raving lunatic with a killa bod. James, the 'protective' yet 'neglectful' brother was cute, and obviously being prepped for a later story, but truly, he was hard to like. Well, he's not my type with his condensation and player history. I especially liked the part in the end, when Agatha asks why James had to stay with his mistress for 6 hours when it obviously did not take that long. The choking Simon was much too adorable to forget. Still, I cannot say that it was a book I could read again, other than that one part.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pretender.