Maribeth's Reviews > Second Verse

Second Verse by Jennifer Walkup

bookshelves: bea2013-arc, paranormal-ya-lit

This was a great, spooky, fun, and quick read. Some of the plot twists you could see coming from a mile away (view spoiler) but the big one at the end was pretty fun. I liked our protagonist, Lange, and her relationship with Vaughn. I can't say much about the story without giving things away but I will say that it is such an interesting premise, particularly including the bit with photographs, I really found it fun to read.

I don't like it when the female protagonist passes out or something of the sort during the action sequences, cutting them short. This happened with Lange. It makes me feel a little cheated, I want to hear about what happens WHEN it is happening! Not when she wakes up after.

I have been having a hard time recently with the dialogue in some of these books set in current day. Particularly, the "every day" dialogue with kids at school talking to each other, all I think about when I read it is how campy and inauthentic it sounds. I felt that way in the beginning of Second Verse, it faded when the story really got going but I had a hard time in the beginning. I think this is a really challenging thing for writers because on one hand, most teenagers aren't going to have intellectual conversations around the lunch table, but on the other hand, no one wants to read about these kids having a conversation about Kim Kardashian. There has to be some sort of sweet spot but really, I think authors need to steer clear of that dialogue because no matter what, it's not pleasant to read.

Anyway, read Second Verse, it will give you crazy dreams.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Verse.

Finished Reading
July 4, 2013 – Shelved
July 4, 2013 – Shelved as: bea2013-arc
July 4, 2013 – Shelved as: paranormal-ya-lit

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jess Great review! I recommend Joshua Gaylord's "Hummingbirds" if you're looking for realistic and hilarious teenage dialogue.