Sara's Reviews > Carter Finally Gets It

Aug 01, 2009

bookshelves: 2009, loved, young-adult
Recommended to Sara by: Can't remember
Read in August, 2009

Carter is a typical high school freshman who wants to be considered cool, fit in with the popular crowd, and hook up with girls. He hangs out with friends with nicknames like Bag and Hormone, plays football because it's apparently the thing to do, and is trying to score a cool nickname like "Race Car." He follows his older sister's advice for how to get a girl interested in him, then doesn't know what to do when things get complicated due to his own stupidity.

Covering the entire span of Carter's freshman year, this book honestly feels like it's narrated by a kid his age, and it is laugh-out-loud hilarious! Probably one of the funniest teen books I've read in a long time - similar to Antony John's Busted: Confessions of an Accidental Player, but with a younger narrator in even crazier situations.

The narration flows easily, making it seem like you're actually reading Carter's thoughts as they happen. An example: "(The football coach) draws Xs and Os on the chalkboard and blathers about 'plays' and 'holes,' and I have no idea what he's talking about. I space off and think about that movie Holes and how it would suck to dig holes all day in the desert." He calls mono - the kissing disease - "a pimp-ass problem I wish I had." How can you not root for a guy so earnest yet so incredibly dorky?

On top of the great (though sometimes lewd) humor in this book, it is also sweet. Carter becomes a better person, works hard to succeed when he really wants to, and eventually follows his own interests despite knowing his friends will be less than impressed (of course, he doesn't tell them what he's doing to ward off teasing). Definitely a book that all teens could - and should - enjoy. I am looking forward to reading this author's next book whenever it comes out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carter Finally Gets It.

08/02/2009 page 132