Jai's Reviews > The Cult of the Amateur: How Today's Internet Is Killing Our Culture

The Cult of the Amateur by Andrew Keen

F 50x66
Aug 01, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: political, reference, textbooks

Andrew Keen may not have all of his facts in order, but he makes some incredibly valid arguments. This book is especially good at highlighting how the internet has resulted in less money and less quality in journalism. I also liked his insights into the music industry. It would have been better with more research and less preaching. Ironically, the book sounded a lot like an angry political blog--the very thing Keen is railing against.

The final chapter contradicts some of the things he said throughout the book--as though Keen realized some of his assertions were a little harsh. It's a quick read, however, and some of the verifiable facts are scary, to say the least. This is a good book to read before a pro-blogging revolution book, which is what I did, in order to make sure you understand the opposing side of things. The rivalry between Keen and Remix author Lawrence Lessig is interesting to note.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cult of the Amateur.