Lorihudeck's Reviews > Black Hills

Black Hills by Nora Roberts

U 50x66
Aug 01, 2009

bookshelves: just-reads

I actually read this book aloud to my husband while driving back from Ocean City, Md. I am pleased to report that it kept both of us entertained for the eight-hour drive.

As someone who has read several of Nora Roberts' novels, I was able to predict major plot events as they are somewhat standard. Still, her stand alone works are so much better than some of her series' works.

I am not an outdoorsy, let's go camping, kind of person, but this story made me want to go to South Dakota and ride a horse up a trail and spot cougars.

There were just enough twists and turns to keep things interesting. The writing was fairly strong and the dialogue actually drew a few chuckles from my husband.

It's not great literature, but it was good, fast-paced, if somewhat predictable tale. I would call it a romance with some mystery and murder thrown in. My husband called it a modern day Gunsmoke with just a little too much romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Hills.

Georgina Wow, that's commmitment, reading a romance novel aloud to your husband, and having him engaged in the story - well done! I agree about the dialogue - I remember commenting to my husband while reading something particularly funny, just how good the dialogue between her characters is. Some of the conversations between Lil and Tansy are hilarious.