Andi's Reviews > American Slave, American Hero: York of the Lewis and Clark Expedition

American Slave, American Hero by Laurence Pringle

Aug 01, 2009

bookshelves: ls583-ya-lit
Read in March, 2007

Our students do a study of the Lewis and Clark expedition every year. The students chose five members of the Lewis and Clark expedition to research write about and present for their project. In our school York is always one of the most popular and compelling figures. There isn't as much information available about him. Because of his status as a slave and because he was not allowed to learn to read and write his journals never existed. It was against Virginia law, where he was born and raised, to teach a slave to read and write. For that reason his point of view cannot accurately be told and his life story must be pieced together from the records kept by others.

In the author’s note at the back of the book Pringle points out that in researching for this book he found more than a dozen books about Sacagawea and at least six about Seaman the dog that went on the journey but few about York. It is clear that this volume is much needed and makes a valuable contribution to our American history. This book is well written, beautifully illustrated and highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Slave, American Hero.