Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance's Reviews > Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within

Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg

bookshelves: books-about-books, creativity, favorites, writing, philosophy
Read 2 times. Last read October 29, 2019 to November 4, 2019.

There is nothing like rereading an old favorite. This time, I listened to this book on audio. The author read each chapter, and then popped back in to comment with thoughts about her book, from a distance of twenty-five years after the book was originally published.

If you can only read a few books on writing, let this be one of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing Down the Bones.

Quotes Deb (Readerbuzz) Liked

Natalie Goldberg
“We are important and our lives are important, magnificent really, and their details are worthy to be recorded. This is how writers must think, this is how we must sit down with pen in hand. We were here; we are human beings; this is how we lived. Let it be known, the earth passed before us. Our details are important. Otherwise, if they are not, we can drop a bomb and it doesn't matter. . . Recording the details of our lives is a stance against bombs with their mass ability to kill, against too much speed and efficiency. A writer must say yes to life, to all of life: the water glasses, the Kemp's half-and-half, the ketchup on the counter. It is not a writer's task to say, "It is dumb to live in a small town or to eat in a café when you can eat macrobiotic at home." Our task is to say a holy yes to the real things of our life as they exist – the real truth of who we are: several pounds overweight, the gray, cold street outside, the Christmas tinsel in the showcase, the Jewish writer in the orange booth across from her blond friend who has black children. We must become writers who accept things as they are, come to love the details, and step forward with a yes on our lips so there can be no more noes in the world, noes that invalidate life and stop these details from continuing.”
Natalie Goldberg, Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within

March 16, 2016 – Shelved as: writing
October 29, 2019 – Started Reading
November 4, 2019 – Finished Reading
November 14, 2019 – Shelved as: philosophy

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Ginger Oh this is one of my all time favorites!