mark monday's Reviews > The Wise Man's Fear

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

131922

bookshelves: rain-man-reviews, fantasy-modern, unicorn

HULK SMASH KVOTHE!

KVOTHE CAN DO ANYTHING AND THAT MAKE HULK ANGRY! NOT BECAUSE HULK IS JEALOUS! BUT BECAUSE HULK THINKS THIS IS RIDICULOUS AND MAKES HULK ROLL EYES AND SNORT AT THOUGHT OF 100% PERFECT KVOTHE! KVOTHE IS BEST LUTE PLAYER, IS BEST SONG WRITER, IS BEST WEAPON-MAKER, IS BEST FIGHTER, IS BEST ACTOR, IS BEST INVESTIGATOR, IS BEST KILLER, IS BEST GIRL RESCUER, IS BEST MAGICIAN, IS BEST IS BEST IS BEST IS BEST! EVEN FAERIE ENCHANTRESS LOVE KVOTHE BECAUSE KVOTHE IS BEST FIRST-TIME LOVER IN ENTIRE HISTORY OF MADE-UP WORLD! HULK FROTH AT MOUTH WHEN THINKING ABOUT PERFECTION OF ALWAYS CLEVER KVOTHE!

EVERYONE KNOW HULK IS INCREDIBLE, HULK IS STRONGEST MAN-THING IN ENTIRE WORLD, HULK IS HANDSOMEST GREEN MAN EVER - BUT HULK IS NOT BEST DANCER OR BEST KARATE EXPERT OR BEST EMBROIDERER TOO! UGH! ARGH! HULK WANT TO MAKE KVOTHE BEST BLOODSTAIN!

HULK ANGRY AT PATRICK ROTHFUSS TOO! HULK THINK SOMETIMES AUTHORS DREAM UP THEIR 100% PERFECT FANTASY VERSION OF HERO - OR EVEN FANTASY VERSION OF THEMSELF, HULK GUESS - WHEN THEY SHOULD UNDERSTAND THAT PROTAGONIST WHO CAN DO ANYTHING AND WHO CONSTANTLY MENTIONS ALL OF THEIR AMAZING ABILITIES IS WORTHLESS AS PROTAGONIST! WHY DOES ROTHFUSS NOT UNDERSTAND THAT PERFECT IS BORING?!? IF HULK WERE FEELING GENEROUS HULK WOULD SAY, WELL THIS IS ONLY ROTHFUSS' SECOND BOOK SO WHY NOT BE MORE PATIENT, HULK? BUT HULK IS NOT FEELING GENEROUS AND SO HE MUST CALL OUT THAT THIS IS STUPID, STUPID MISTAKE FROM VERY SMART AUTHOR! IF ROTHFUSS WERE BAD WRITER, HULK MIGHT UNDERSTAND. BUT ROTHFUSS IS VERY GOOD AUTHOR! SO HIS BIG MISTAKE WHICH HE REPEATS OVER AND OVER AGAIN IS EXTRA EXTRA IRRITATING!

HULK WANTED TO GIVE BOOK 2 STARS HE WAS SO FRUSTRATED.

photo hulk_color_zps928ec9c5.jpg

BUT HULK CANNOT. HULK LOVE THIS BOOK! HULK LOVE IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCES. HULK LOVE HOW ROTHFUSS TAKES TIME WITH EPISODIC NOVEL AND LETS READER REALLY UNDERSTAND EACH PART OF WORLD THAT STUPID KVOTHE VISITS. HULK LOVE DETAILS OF LIFE AT UNIVERSITY. HULK LOVE DETAILS OF VINTAS AND FAERIE LAND AND SMALL BAND OF BANDIT-KILLERS AND SO MANY MORE DETAILS AND ALL THE DIFFERENT STORIES. IT IS LIKE HULK IS ABLE TO LIVE IN THIS WORLD AND HULK LOVE THAT! HULK ESPECIALLY LOVE KNOWING ABOUT ADEM CULTURE. FASCINATING CULTURE! ADEM CULTURE THINK WEARING CLOTHES OR NOT WEARING CLOTHES IS NO BIG DEAL AND THAT REALLY MAKE SENSE TO HULK. HULK ALSO LOVE INSIGHTFUL ENGAGEMENT WITH STORYTELLING IN BOOK. VERY SMART! HULK NOT LIKE SCENES SET IN PRESENT BUT HULK HAS COMPLAINED ENOUGH. HULK LOVE MYSTERIES AND BOOK IS FULL OF GOOD MYSTERIES! HULK LOVE MYSTERY OF CHANDRIAN! HULK ALSO LIKE PORTRAYAL OF MOST WOMEN IN BOOK. HULK NOT ASHAMED TO ADMIT HE GOT JUST A LITTLE BIT TEARY IN EYES OVER RESCUE OF RAPE VICTIMS. BUT HULK ESPECIALLY LOVE WARRIOR WOMEN OF ADEM! STRONG WOMEN! HULK APPRECIATE STRONG WOMEN!

HULK REALLY THINK ROTHFUSS IS EXCELLENT WRITER. VERY TALENTED AT MANY THINGS AND GOOD WITH MOST CHARACTERS AND NARRATIVE AND IMAGERY AND LETTING STORY LIVE AND BREATHE IN PACE THAT IS NOT RUSHED AND LETTING READER GET TO KNOW WORLD SLOWLY AND UNDERSTAND MAGIC SLOWLY AND HULK NOT TURNED OFF BY VERY BIG SIZE OF BOOK. HULK LIKE BIG THINGS! BUT HULK NOT LIKE KVOTHE!

HULK SMASH KVOTHE!
2010 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Man's Fear.

July 1, 2013 – Started Reading
July 1, 2013 – Shelved
August 20, 2013 – Shelved as: rain-man-reviews
August 20, 2013 – Shelved as: fantasy-modern
August 20, 2013 – Finished Reading
October 30, 2013 – Shelved as: unicorn

Comments Showing 1-50 of 339 (339 new)

Gregor Xane Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one.

mark monday so far it is completely enjoyable. although I am beginning to get why many readers find Kvothe so insufferable. I loved him in the first book and was never annoyed by him. in this one - well, he's a bit much at times

however that makes it sounds like I have mixed feelings so far, but really I don't. I am enjoying it so much that I am trying to extend the experience for a while, reading shorter novels in between time reading this one, so that I can enjoy this world for as long as possible.

Julio Genao your review—it's gone!

*crowd gasps*

seriously. it's gone.

mark monday IT WAS NEVER THERE! BUT NOW IT IS!

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris Hulk write brilliant review!

mark monday CHECK OUT HULK'S FILM BLOG IN HULK LINK! IS BRILLIANT! JUST FOUND IT RECENTLY AND VERY IMPRESSED. THIS REVIEW IS ODE TO FILM CRITIC HULK!

AND THANK YOU!

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris Brilliant review, brilliant homage, brilliant film blog!

Robin Wonderful review. Hulk is so thoughtful and articulate!

mark monday HULK THANKS ROBIN AND HAS MUCH APPRECIATION FOR ROBIN!

Samuel Definitely my favorite Goodreads review so far. Nice job.

message 11: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday THANK YOU VERY MUCH SAMUEL!

message 12: by Lynne (new)

Lynne King Mark,

What an absolutely incredible review. I LOVE IT!

message 13: by Samadrita (new)

Samadrita Samadrita like Hulk's review very much.

message 14: by Forrest (new)

Forrest Please tell me there will be an Avengers sequel . . . please! This review was awesome. It makes me want to throw furniture around!

Nermin HULK must be a very patient Hulk to really like the Adem culture. It really bored me while I was reading the book. But Hulk's review didn't bore me. so great job, Hulk. Write more reviews.

message 16: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday HULK LOVE TEMPI RIGHT AWAY BECAUSE TEMPI IS QUIET AND NICE AND VERY GOOD IN FIGHT AND WOULD MAKE PERFECT SIDE-KICK FOR HULK! SO HULK HAD MUCH INTEREST IN ADEM CULTURE BECAUSE OF TEMPI. THEN WHEN KVOTHE GO TO LAND OF ADEM AND ADEM IS FULL OF QUIET NOT ANNOYING PEOPLE AND GOOD FIGHTERS AND VERY STRONG WOMEN EVEN LITTLE GIRLS AND OLD WOMEN ARE STRONG WOMEN AND GOOD FIGHTERS, WELL, HULK FALL IN LOVE WITH ADEM CULTURE AND BECOME VERY FASCINATED WITH LAND OF ADEM!

AND THANK YOU NERMIN!

message 17: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday Samadrita wrote: "Samadrita like Hulk's review very much."

Lynne wrote: "Mark,

What an absolutely incredible review. I LOVE IT!"

HULK THANKS SAMDRITA AND LYNNE VERY MUCH FOR GOOD WORDS FOR HULK!!!

message 18: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday Forrest wrote: "Please tell me there will be an Avengers sequel . . . please! This review was awesome. It makes me want to throw furniture around!"

HULK WILL BE APPEARING SOON IN A THEATRE NEAR FORREST! AND THANK YOU FOR SAYING REVIEW IS AWESOME FORREST!

David Sven Brilliant!

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 21, 2013 08:58PM) (new)

"HULK WANT TO MAKE KVOTHE BEST BLOODSTAIN!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
How can I not 'like" this review?

I wonder what Hulk would say of Twilight, eh? Make Hulk read Twilight, Monday.

message 21: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday HULK ALTER EGO HAS READ TWILIGHT ALREADY AND HULK LAUGHS AT IDEA THAT WIMPY ALTER EGO HAS EVEN READ TWILIGHT! HAHAHA! ALTER EGO PROBABLY LOVED TWILIGHT BECAUSE HE IS SO WIMPY! HAHAHA!

HULK GLAD YOU LIKED BLOODSTAIN IDEA, GENESIS!

AND THANK YOU DAVID!

carol. carol surprised HULK like characterization of Adem culture because Rothfuss seemed to be channeling some 18th century white dude that thought brown/yellow people noble but foreign savages. I would have thought a green person might have felt sympathy.

message 23: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday ADEM ARE WHITE PEOPLE BUT HULK IS COLOR-BLIND WHEN IT COMES TO SUCH THINGS AND HULK FEEL EVEN WHITE PEOPLE ARE OKAY SOMETIMES! ESPECIALLY WHITE ADEM PEOPLE! IF ALL WHITE PEOPLE WERE LIKE ADEM THEN HULK THINK WHITE PEOPLE MAYBE NOT SO BAD AT ALL!

message 24: by Jacob (last edited Aug 21, 2013 07:52PM) (new) - added it

Jacob Jacob also surprised HULK like characterization of Adem culture because AdEm seemed (to Jacob) to exist solely to provide Kvothe with the skills Kvothe needed to become Best Fighter.

But then, Jacob thought most of this book existed to provide Kvothe with convenient adventures and with them the opportunities to level up and become Best ___ in various fields, so perhaps Jacob and HULK should agree to disagree because Jacob would not want to make HULK angry.

Francine Adem rock!! Adem hand gestures speak much without Kvothe constant yammmering. Adem speak truth without needing to say "best in ____" all the time. Adem made book worthwhile!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

mark wrote: "HULK ALTER EGO HAS READ TWILIGHT ALREADY AND HULK LAUGHS AT IDEA THAT WIMPY ALTER EGO HAS EVEN READ TWILIGHT! HAHAHA! ALTER EGO PROBABLY LOVED TWILIGHT BECAUSE HE IS SO WIMPY! HAHAHA!

HULK GLAD YOU LIKED BLOODSTAIN IDEA, GENESIS!"

YOU GAVE IT TWO STARS!
TWO AND NOT ONE?!
WHEN DID HULK BECOME SUCH A PUSSIFIED BUNNY AT THE SIGHT OF EDWARD CULLEN?
TWO STARS?
Oh, wait a minute.
I gave it two stars, too.
Never mind!

message 27: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus That hurt.

message 28: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday Jacob wrote: "Jacob also surprised HULK like characterization of Adem culture because AdEm seemed (to Jacob) to exist solely to provide Kvothe with the skills Kvothe needed to become Best Fighter....
But then, Jacob thought most of this book existed to provide Kvothe with convenient adventures and with them the opportunities to level up and become Best ___ in various fields"

JACOB IS 100% RIGHT! BUT HULK STILL LOVE BOOK AND ADEM CULTURE FOR FASCINATING DETAILS AND STORY! HULK ALSO LOVED SHOWS LIKE ANGEL AND FIRST THREE SEASONS OF RESCUE ME WHERE MAIN CHARACTERS MAKE HULK WANT TO SMASH THEM WHENEVER THEY WHINE OR BE SARCASTIC WHICH IS ALWAYS BUT HULK STILL LIKE THE STORIES TOLD AND HULK APPRECIATE THE WAY THEY WERE TOLD TOO.

message 29: by Jacob (last edited Aug 21, 2013 08:58PM) (new) - added it

Jacob Gotcha. Can't argue with that. Jacob never gave Angel a try, but rather liked Buffy.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Favorite. Review. Ever.

message 31: by Veeral (new) - added it

Veeral Hulk write great review. Hulk fall asleep when Tony Stark tell him events of Iron Man 3 as shown in movie after credits rolling complete, but I awake and enjoy review very much.

message 32: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday ☠The Dread Pirate Grant☠ wrote: "Favorite. Review. Ever."

HULK IS VERY THANKFUL AND ALSO VERY GLAD TO SEE GRANT AFTER SUCH A LONG TIME!

message 33: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday Veeral wrote: "Hulk write great review. Hulk fall asleep when Tony Stark tell him events of Iron Man 3 as shown in movie after credits rolling complete, but I awake and enjoy review very much."

HULK SHOULD REMAIN SILENT IN GENERAL ABOUT TONY STARK, WHO HULK HAS VERY MIXED FEELINGS ABOUT! SMALL MAN IN BIG SUIT THINKS HE IS NOW STRONG, HAHAHA! BUT HULK DID ENJOY FIRST IRON MAN MOVIE. WAS NOT SO BAD AT ALL.

Brian Excellent review, Hulk!!!
Excellent style/delivery of review!!! Utterly delightful!!!

[ QUITE OFTEN you had me IN TEARS; MY FACE AND BELLY *ACHING*!!! ANY REVIEWER WHO CAN DO THIS TO ME IS GOLD-STANDARD!!! ]

Now though I've JUST finished "The Name of the Wind" and have yet to purchase my copy of "A Wise Man's Fear", I still feel compelled to do so and delve deep and quick!

Thank you, Hulk!!

message 35: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday THANK YOU BRIAN!!! HULK HAPPY HE WAS ABLE TO MAKE SOMEONE'S FACE AND BELLY ACHE BUT IN GOOD WAY THIS TIME. UNUSUAL EXPERIENCE FOR HULK!

Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤ Andrea give HULK cookie for brilliant review.

message 37: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday HULK TAKE COOKIE! HULK LOVE COOKIES.

photo hulk-cookies-long_zpsbbf4dc3b.jpg

message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I couldn't stand Kvothe for the exact same reason in book one. Reading your review makes me extra cautious about the second book...

Gregor Xane Hulk makes a great point about Kvothe. I've got a buddy who felt the same way after reading the first book. I wish Hulk would have been called upon to edit the overlong fairy-world sexcapades, too. The content (sex) was fine. I just don't think it should have gone on forever.

message 40: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday Andrea wrote: "I couldn't stand Kvothe for the exact same reason in book one. Reading your review makes me extra cautious about the second book..."

HULK THOUGHT KVOTHE MILDLY AMUSING IN FIRST BOOK AND NOT SMASHABLE. HULK UNDERSTAND BIG EGO! BUT KVOTHE EGO AND POWERS GROW TO GODLIKE PROPORTIONS IN SECOND BOOK AND HULK HATE GODLIKE PROPORTIONS ON MORTAL MAN. HULK SMASH MORTAL MEN WHO THINK THEY ARE GODS ON REGULAR BASIS! BUT HULK STILL LIKE 2ND BOOK DESPITE KVOTHE GOD COMPLEX. HULK JUST NEED TO HAVE VERY SERIOUS TALK WITH KVOTHE BEFORE 3RD BOOK COMES OUT.

message 41: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday Gregor wrote: "Hulk makes a great point about Kvothe. I've got a buddy who felt the same way after reading the first book. I wish Hulk would have been called upon to edit the overlong fairy-world sexcapades, too...."

HULK THINK HULK NOT HAVE REAL PATIENCE TO BE EDITOR BUT HULK FINE WITH PICKING UP KVOTHE OR PATRICK ROTHFUSS AND SHAKING THEM UNTIL THEY UNDERSTAND HULK'S POINTS. IS HULK'S WAY OF EDITING.

Gregor Xane mark wrote: "Gregor wrote: "Hulk makes a great point about Kvothe. I've got a buddy who felt the same way after reading the first book. I wish Hulk would have been called upon to edit the overlong fairy-world s..."

That works for me.

Allofem121 lol wut? Kvothe is socially awkward with women and wastes way too much time on Deanna when she doesn't care about him.

message 44: by mark (last edited Jan 06, 2014 08:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday ALLOFEM121 IS COMPLETELY RIGHT EXCEPT ABOUT PART SET IN FAIRYLAND WHERE KVOTHE BECOMES AMAZING AMAZING FIRST TIME LOVER WITH FAIRY ENCHANTRESS JUST LIKE HE IS AMAZING AT EVERYTHING HE TRIES IT JUST MAKES HULK WEARILY ROLL EYES SO READ THAT PART AGAIN ALLOFEM121 YOU WILL SEE HULK IS RIGHT TOO!

message 45: by Tom (new)

Tom Omg I'm dying right now. That was phenomenal!

message 46: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday HULK NOT WANT TOM TO DIE FROM REVIEW! BUT HULK HAPPY TOM LIKE REVIEW. HULK VERY PLEASED WITH POINTS HULK MAKE IN REVIEW AND HULK HAPPY WITH REVIEW OVERALL AND HULK NOT OFTEN HAPPY WITH REVIEWS BECAUSE HULK IS OCD PERFECTIONIST. BUT MOST IMPORTANT THING HULK HAS TO SAY IS DO NOT DIE, TOM, NO!!

Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤ *gives Hulk another cookie*

message 48: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday HULK TAKE COOKIE! AGAIN!

message 49: by Ivonne (new)

Ivonne Rovira Mark, thank you so much for your generosity in allowing Hulk to use your GoodReads account for this review. Although, naturally, he'll never be as talented as you are, Hulk has a certain je ne sais quoi as a reviewer, and I enjoyed his review very much.

message 50: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday HULK NOT LIKE QUALIFYING NATURE OF COMPLIMENT TOWARDS HULK! HULK CRUSH mark monday AND HIS SO-CALLED TALENT! HULK THINK HULK-TALENT MUCH STRONGER AND MORE EFFECTIVE AND HULK WOULD EVEN SAY MORE VIBRANT THAN DRIPPY mark monday STYLE! mark monday IS TINY INSECT COMPARED TO HULK! HULK CRUSH mark monday UNDER HULK FOOT IVONNE!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7