Audacia Ray's Reviews > A Short Life of Trouble: Forty Years in the New York Art World

A Short Life of Trouble by Marcia Tucker

Jul 30, 2009

bookshelves: cultural-studies, memoir, nyc, read-in-2009

I'm not a person who does beach reads. Case in point: the other reading I brought on vacation with me was about female infanticide and sex-selective abortion. Yeah, I know how to party.

So, a book about feminism and the art world from the sixties until the early aughties, told in a punchy way, is about as close as I get to a real beach read. Marcia Tucker's story was well told, lively, and thoroughly engaging. Well worth a read if you're interested in contemporary art, feminism and art, and the New York art scene in the past 40 plus years. Though she does get a little name-droppy, if you don't know the names (I only knew some of them), it doesn't mar the story or make you feel like you're missing out at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short Life of Trouble.

message 1: by Antonio (new) - added it

Antonio Puente Great review. Just wondering, what's the book about "female infanticide and sex-selective abortion" you talk about? It sounds interesting as well.