Karina's Reviews > Love and Candy

Love and Candy by Elizabeth Famous

Jun 30, 2013

bookshelves: arr-funsies

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

Verdict: 4.5 Adorable Stars

Praise for Elizabeth Famous and this beautifully written and refreshingly unique coming of age story! It made me feel a plethora of emotions...borderline bipolar (and I loved every moment of it).

*MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*

Samantha Montclare is a high school freshman with a one track mind, get through high school and into an Ivy League school. She's a math whiz and a mediocre soccer player who keeps a low profile in an attempt to avoid all the drama that seems to surround her hormone raging female classmates. She can't seem to wrap her head around how smart girls, suddenly enter high school and get sucked into a world of drooling over guys. Sam believed she led a a pretty normal life, that is until she stumbles upon her mother's diary...revealing a secret that turns her world upside down. As if high school wasn't torture enough with its hierarchies and politics, she has to deal with having "perverted parents", finding out her father is not who she thought and now him.

Delaney Troy is the soccer star at Darcy High and the only guy to provoke any physical reaction from Samantha. What ensues is a level of stalking only a high schooler can work like a pro. He was downright gorgeously dreamy...and a whore. Del was such a hot commodity that he had the uncanny ability to juggle more than one girl...he simply was not into labeling things, feeling tied down or answering to anyone in particular. He's not your cliché smooth operator, in fact his blunt and say-it-like-it-is attitude is one of the reasons I absolutely loved this book. I was constantly fighting the urge to physically hurt him and shower him with kisses. Sam's ogling is so intense, his friends and girlfriends (awkward) take notice and make him aware. This my friends is where it gets oddly interesting.

The dynamic between Sam & Del lies heavily on a sexual power exchange. Del enjoyed sex and Sam was more than willing to satisfy his appetite. It's not high school puppy love, just a very physical relationship with a one sided emotional aspect to it (from Sam). Samantha craves a monogamous relationship with Delaney and eventually establishes one on his terms. Everything was always on Del's terms...which kinda made me want to choke Sam sometimes. It was infuriating how submissive she was towards him, but that was part of the beauty of this story. He was an ass but I respected his gangsta. Prime example: he had Samantha on check as far as all phone calls go and never actually gave her his number (she had to get it from the caller ID). SMH, who does that?! Who puts up with such tomfoolery in the quasi-relationship they had throughout most of the book. At the very end we get treated to some truly swoon worthy hearts and flowers moments (as close as it's gonna get with Del). He redeems himself as being worthy of Sam's attentions.

"Samantha, I do love you. You've made me think about this stuff I never considered before. You've got me thinking about you and me and some kind of future; I admit that. We have, like, perfect chemistry -- at least I think so. I think you're a dime. You're mad and you're unbelievably smart." -Delaney

"Oh, and call me if you want. Anytime. If you need to talk. If I don't answer, you can start blowing up my cell. I promise I won't complain. I'll get back to you...the same day. I've decided to get over my aversion to talking on the phone...just in your case. That's true love, right?" -Delaney

Coming from the guy who was practically allergic to talking on the phone, it's the sweetest fricken thing ever! Ok, enough of my gushing over Mr. Troy. Now onto a more serious matter...

Sam's biological father, Anton de'Medici, is a wealthy Italian playboy investment banking mogul (that's a mouthful!). Samantha was the product of a year long ménage á trois between Catherine (Sam's mom), Robert (who Sam thought to be her father) and Anton...hence the "perverted parents" label. One thing about having open minded parents is the beautiful and nurturing relationship Sam has with Catherine and Robert. Her closest confidant was her father Robert and they had nightly chats about anything and everything (how fricken cute is that?!). This however is not the case with Anton. He comes across as a having a Mr. Darcy like pompous personality. He does not want to intrude on Catherine and Robert's parenting, however we gradually see him make an effort to become acquainted with Samantha...mainly as a family friend. At the end of the day, he wants what's best for Samantha, just like her parents.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to read and review this book because it felt real. Not many high schoolers are looking to find true love and Del was no exception. He was aware of the reaction he elicited from girls and was brutally honest about who he was and what he wanted...never making any excuses or promises. They complimented each other perfectly, Sam was constantly letting her thoughts wander to the 'what ifs' of romance, while Del gladly pumped the brakes before she got too carried away. Love and Candy was a delightful read that I highly recommend. I look forward to future works by Elizabeth Famous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Candy.

June 30, 2013 – Shelved
June 30, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
June 30, 2013 – Shelved as: arr-funsies
July 6, 2013 – Started Reading
July 6, 2013 –
page 4
1.19% "Really? His name is Delaney? Whatevs, he sounds hot!"
July 7, 2013 –
page 135
40.3% "This is such a cute book, totally reminds me of 'The Carrie Diaries'."
July 8, 2013 –
page 153
45.67% "Wow, Delaney's such a douchebag! He makes me wanna punch him in the throat!"
July 8, 2013 –
page 167
49.85% ""Don't worry, Guido, you're very sexy too...in your own tightly wound, submissive girl sort of way". Delaney I don't know if I want to strangle him or love him, lol."
July 8, 2013 – Finished Reading
August 15, 2013 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
August 15, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)

Elizabeth Famous This is my second favorite Delaney line (from the epilogue, which I'll put on my website): "If we ever have a kid someday, I won't need an assist like your dad."

message 2: by Karina (new) - added it

Karina Lol, that totally sounds like Delaney! The things that come out of his mouth are outrageous at times.

Elizabeth Famous After you've finished reading LOVE and CANDY, check out the Epilogue, which is posted on my website: http://elizabethfamous.com/freeepilog...

Elizabeth Famous