Gary Patton's Reviews > I'm OK - You're OK

I'm OK - You're OK by Thomas A. Harris

2043151

bookshelves: wellness, life-skills, lifestyle, research

Dr. Harris' book was the second of the late 1960s & early ‘70s pop-psychology books about "Transactional Analysis that was written for the mass North American market. It's predecessor was "Games People Play" by Eric Berne, the father of "Transactional analysis, and Dr. Harris' mentor and teacher.

Both were run-away Best Sellers ...each holding NY Times Best Seller list records. Might this be because: "Self-help’s readers — guilt-stricken, fear-plagued, stupid-choice-making as they are — can barely stagger through a day without the assistance of trained professionals?" This is the opinion of Laura Millar in an excellent article about these books and how the genre has declined horribly since Games and I'm OK. The article is at http://goo.gl/BLvcK .

As a Jesus Follower, I was intrigued to learn that "I'm OK" was extremely popular with U.S. Christian Small Groups shortly after it's release. This interesting fact and many others is included in a short article re the impact of this book at http://goo.gl/eYRUC .

Might the huge interest of I'm OK be because we Christians are a group who understands the extent of what the Bible says is "human depravity"?

Or might we just be more aware as a community of our desperate need for "fixing"? And are unconcerned about its source.

Either way, a lot of Christian readers for over 40 years seem to have missed the annual Best-Selling New Covenant's core point:
"People can't fix themselves ...ONLY Jesus can!" ~ © gfp '42™

As a life-long Human Resources practitioner, Dr. Harris' book is one of the few psychology books which I read that I could really understand and found helpful. I recommend it ...although some of it's precepts are now dated.

Blessings all!

GaryFPatton
(© gfp '42™ - Edited 2013-12-18)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm OK - You're OK.

Started Reading