~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~'s Reviews > Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex

Bonk by Mary Roach

liked it
bookshelves: nonfic-misc

~3.5~

There's nothing here I didn't already know. Should I be alarmed? Take heed: you can learn a lot about the science of sex from smutty books.

Roach is a very engaging writer. She does an incredible amount of research for her books and makes science approachable and FUN.

One tidbit; if you need a penis reattached, Thailand is the place to go:

Two of the wives flushed the penises down the toilet, forcing their husbands to grope for their lost manhood inside the septic tank. (Incredibly, both were found, cleaned, cleaned some more, and reattached.) More commonly, the women would hurl the penis out the window. In the cases described in “Surgical Management of an Epidemic of Penile Amputations in Siam,” all the recovered penises were “grossly contaminated.”

Better that than eaten by livestock. Many rural Thai homes are elevated on pilings, with the family’s pigs, chickens, and ducks tending to mill about seeking shade in the space underneath. It is not, oddly, the pigs, but rather the ducks, that the castrated Thai must worry about. The paper does not provide the exact number of penises eaten by ducks, but the author says there have been enough over the years to prompt the coining of a popular saying: “I better get home or the ducks will have something to eat.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonk.

June 30, 2013 – Shelved
June 30, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
April 6, 2016 – Shelved as: nonfic-misc
April 6, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder That's good to know where to go to get one's penis reattached!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "That's good to know where to go to get one's penis reattached!"

Just in case.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Yup!!"

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Yup!!"

She has a new book coming out about war. I'm not sure if I'll read it, but I do enjoy her writing."

I do too. Loved Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal.