Jessika's Reviews > Slapstick, or Lonesome No More!

Slapstick, or Lonesome No More! by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jul 29, 2009

bookshelves: fiction, own, science-fiction
Read from April 24 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy

My dad bought this for me a few years ago, and I finally got around to reading it.

It was bizarre, it was thought-provoking, it was full of dark humor--it was Kurt Vonnegut, basically. I've read some reviews of Slapstick where people have said that this work doesn't compare to some of his others, but I haven't read enough of Vonnegut to make that comparison myself. I will say that I really enjoyed this one, so much so that even though I finished this yesterday afternoon, I'm just now sitting down to attempt to put my thoughts together about this one.

There was a lot for me to think about with Slapstick. First thing's first--it was a relatively quick read. I definitely could have read this in a single afternoon. With short paragraphs, sections, and chapters, I was flying through the pages. That's not to say that this was necessarily an easy read, however. There's quite a bit to digest within this novel's pages, so I stretched it out to give myself enough time to wrap my mind around it.

One particular thing that stood out to me as I was reading was just how sad and yet funny this story was--sad in the sense that Vonnegut really touches upon the loneliness of human nature and funny in that his predictions for the post-apocalyptic world that he creates are eerily accurate. I loved how Vonnegut examined human nature here. I mean, let's face it--this world can be a very lonely place, especially if you happen to stand out amongst the crowd. This is not just the story of one man's lonely existence, however. There are so many layers to this book. We get to see a little bit of Vonnegut himself and his relationship with his sister, as he claims this is quite possibly the most autobiographical of his works. Finally, I found it particularly interesting just how accurate and surprisingly funny his post-apocalyptic world is to our present day.

Overall, I was pleasantly pleased with my second Vonnegut. It was bizarre, and it was strange, but it gave me a lot to think about and ponder, which I loved.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slapstick, or Lonesome No More!.

04/25/2011 page 59
20.0% "My dad bought this for me a few years back and I'm finally getting around to reading it. I like it so far and I find it interesting that Vonnegut regards this as onr of his most autobiographical works."
04/26/2011 page 197
68.0% "Bizarre, but in a good way. Vonnegut is giving me a lot to think about."