Nicki's Reviews > The Girl who fell From the Sky

The Girl who fell From the Sky by Simon Mawer

it was ok
bookshelves: adventure, europe, spy, ww2

I hoped for more from this novel. The protagonist, Marian/Anne-Marie/Alice is a difficult character to warm to and the novel relies heavily on her being an interesting and accessible character because she's our way in. I found Marian spiky, aloof and quite irritating, especially as an agent in training. Apart from anything else, she blabs about her exciting new venture immediately after being explicitly told not to tell anyone.

The novel doesn't really take off until Marian, now known as Alice, arrives in France, but even then I found all the stuff with Clement quite tiresome, both the science and the romance. The best bits were when Alice found herself in trouble, but that was only maybe 10% of the book.

Stories about SOE agents in France are normally a honeytrap for me, but this one didn't really hit the spot. If you want to read a really good novel about a female SOE agent, read Code Name Verity. You won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl who fell From the Sky.

May 21, 2012 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
May 23, 2012 – Shelved as: historical-fiction (Hardcover Edition)
May 23, 2012 – Shelved as: ww2 (Hardcover Edition)
June 30, 2013 – Started Reading
June 30, 2013 – Shelved
June 30, 2013 –
July 1, 2013 – Shelved as: adventure
July 1, 2013 – Shelved as: europe
July 1, 2013 – Shelved as: spy
July 1, 2013 – Shelved as: ww2
July 1, 2013 – Finished Reading
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Why did you keep reading?

Nicki Amy wrote: "Why did you keep reading?"

Because I don't like leaving books unfinished. And I kept hoping it would get better, which it did to an extent.

message 3: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle I agree - I'm 40% done, and bored to tears, and she's not even in France yet. Probably doesn't help that I loved Code Name Verity a few months ago (non-fiction!) and loved it. This one's going on my "did not finish" shelf.