Debbie at Snuggling on the Sofa's Reviews > Brooklyn Girls

Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess

liked it
bookshelves: ebook

Also published on my blog here

When Brooklyn Girls was released, it was hailed as the first mainstream NA that wasn’t overly sexy. I was intrigued by this, and to see whether it worked.

I know the whole idea of the books is about 4 girls living together, but I just felt it was a bit cluttered. Everyone had different side stories that weren’t really explored (presumably to set the other books in the series up). This reflected quite badly on Pia’s character, as it made her seem really self centered. Such as little clippets like finding out someone had written ‘ugly’ in the shower, or thinking that one of her housemates might be pregnant. It was kind of like a ‘ooh thats bad. oh well’ sort of attitude, and it just ended up with me disliking Pia.

I did really enjoy the whole message of making mistakes to grow up, and I do think it is true. I loved Pia’s journey, although I didn’t think it was at all realistic. I actually preferred hearing about the other girls and some of the side characters, so maybe I will enjoy one of the others in a series written from a different perspective?

One of the things that makes this book stand out is Pia’s business idea, which is original and fun. Its also good at promoting entrepreneurial jobs to young people, which I think we definitely need more of. However, she made some pretty big mistakes that seemed to magically right themselves, and I didn’t really feel her happy ending was deserved. I would have preferred an ending that reflected real life rather than a rosy one.

Recommended for those who like books with lots of characters, and are looking for a fun light hearted read! For younger fans of Sex and the City. 3 sofas!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brooklyn Girls.

June 30, 2013 – Shelved