Dan's Reviews > Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream

Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger

Jul 29, 2009

liked it
Read in July, 2009

My friends Matt & Cassie introduced us to the television show "Friday Night Lights" this past winter. I had only heard of it on blogs before then and never really paid any attention to it.

Wow, was I late to the party. The television show is excellent and I highly recommend it, even if you don't like football.

Being the bookworm that I am, I had to find the inspiration for the television show. I actually bought a copy of the book for my friend Matt for Christmas and the four of us eventually decided to read the book and have a little book discussion afterwards.

The book is a fast read and is mostly enjoyable. The parts that are not enjoyable are mainly because of the subject matter and now the writing. Reading about the town of Odessa, TX is very difficult because the society there is completely foreign to me. There are times when you want to shake the book and say, "What is WRONG with you?" Many of those moments happened, for me, when there were detailed descriptions of academics being flushed down the tubes in favor of football.

Overall, though, the writing is good. Bissinger can be a bit over the top at times, though. He uses hyperbole and metaphor a bit too much, but he creates a solid image in your mind of what this town, this school, this team is really like. The hard part is accepting the fact that there really is a place like Odessa that has all these problems.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friday Night Lights.

07/18/2017 marked as: read

Valerie This is our next book club book--glad to hear that for the most part you enjoyed it!

message 2: by Hunter (new) - added it

Hunter Matthews I can level with you on this comment on so many levels! I have both seen the television show and movie as well as reading the book. The passages about the town and its vibe and culture really has me lost and unamused. The book has a very toned down and relaxed vibe compared to the show and movie. Besides that the book gave a very good mental image and did a great job describing as far as the setting and characters go. I also believe that the author did a great job in showing the struggle that these athletes have. I play high school football myself and the things you go through will scare the hell out of you.