Compulsion Reads's Reviews > The Golden Apple of Discord

The Golden Apple of Discord by Lauren Hodge

Taralie and her three sisters are a powerful coven of half witches who spend their free time banishing evil. Their lives are turned upside down when Taralie is kidnapped. Unable to use her earth magic to fight her attackers, she is taken to a remote location and turned into a vampire. The transformation amps up her powers, making her a force to be reckoned with. When she escapes her captors she discovers that the leaders of the magic world want her dead and to revoke her sisters’ powers. On the run, the girls search for a place to hide and figure out their next move. Things aren’t going to get any easier for them as they discover they have been thrown into rebellion between two powerful vampire forces. The girls are going to need help if they want to survive this new world. Luckily for the sisters they meet three allies that are willing to take them under their wings and into their hearts.

The Golden Apple of Discord is a well written paranormal book that will quickly sweep the reader into this world that author Lauren Hodge has created. Each of the characters in the story is very well developed. I really liked that the sisters were all different people with their own distinct voices and personalities. The addition of Alex, Rueben and Thomas bumped up the energy of the story by opening the door to some romance and entertaining scenes (blue vampires are awesome).

While, overall I really enjoyed this book, the dialogue was a bit stiff in the beginning. It did, however, start to feel more natural as I got to the middle and the end. I would have also liked to have seen more attributes in the dialogue; there were a couple of times I had to go back a few lines to see who had started conversations so I could follow along better. If you are a Twilight hater, this book may not be for you. There are a few components that mimic the series (eating animals instead of people, dangerous vampire covens, special abilities), but I honestly think that is where the comparison ends.

I would happily encourage fans of paranormal, YA, and new adult fiction to check out this book. I was instantly hooked and couldn’t wait to find free time to see what was going to happen to Taralie and her sisters. I hope the author writes fast, because I am eager to read the next book in the series.
(This book was provided to Compulsion Reads for review by the author.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Apple of Discord.

Started Reading