Alecia's Reviews > The Engagements

The Engagements by J. Courtney Sullivan

liked it

This was a tough one for me to rate with stars, and I would give this 3.5/5 stars. I think the parts were greater than the whole here. J. Courtney Sullivan is a very good writer, and this book is comprised of seemingly unrelated threads of stories that jump all over the timeline. The one story that ties the theme (in a way) all together is the story of Frances Gerety. She coined the phrase "A Diamond Is Forever" as a young copywriter in 1947. Her story thread follows her and her career and it appears Frances really existed and her story is based on fact. The other threads are individually very interesting, but I found the back and forth rather jarring, and it always took me a bit to reacclimate myself with the different characters each time the story shifted yet again. The thread that joins these different stories becomes apparent only at the end. I truly enjoyed each story thread, and applaud Sullivan's talent, but wished there was more cohesiveness in my reading experience of this book. The jumping around/different story threads device she used took away continuity for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Engagements.

Finished Reading