Eleanor's Reviews > Monster Matsuri

Monster Matsuri by Cristy Burne

bookshelves: aussie-mg

I'm sad I appear to be the sole person leaving a review/who has continued this far into this series? Which is a shame cos I really liked the first 2 instalments, but I LOVE this one! I think the author has got it just right with the team of three - who now form a cute demon busting trio with their funny 'pet', the frog-like, long-tongued demon Filth Licker who cleans bathrooms (long story, that what the books are for). I love the blend of adventure, humour, Japanese myth and cultural fascination. My favourite are the "Tsukumogami" abandoned objects that come back to haunt you after 100 years ("or just to enjoy their old age" the author muses), a useful little tale to avoid wasting things. There are lots more of these demon stories dotted around and it's nice to know their genesis, along with enjoying their role in the story. Like Spirited Away combined with a Famous Five camaraderie, I will definitely be reading the fourth and final instalment. I've heard that Cristy Burne is planning a kid's detective series... which if so, I say to her publisher - YES!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster Matsuri.

June 28, 2013 – Started Reading
June 28, 2013 – Shelved
June 29, 2013 –
page 104
81.25% "Awww! Japanese Demon in the shape of an umbrella (with one large eye). So different to what might find lurking inside a Chinese umbrella. I love this cultural education."
June 29, 2013 – Shelved as: aussie-mg