Mark's Reviews > I Kissed Dating Goodbye

I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris

Sep 20, 2007

it was ok

I read this book when I was a broken-hearted nineteen-year-old. At the time the idea of kissing dating goodbye and doing it in the name of God seemed like a grand idea. I think it was largely because I had no dates to kiss goodbye, so it gave me some noble reason to beyond the fact that girls didn't like me and the fact that despite my liking them I was terrified of them. I think Harris has some very valid points as best as I can remember, but they are a bit extreme and maybe even unrealistic. Anytime you set up a system of thought like that it can lead to feelings of guilt and legalism. I am prone to that sort of thing anyway, and I definitely dealt with it after trying my hardest to adopt the ideas in this book. If would feel guilty if I just liked a girl. In some way, I'm thankful that I went through this time in my life because I do think it has balanced out and saved me from just randomly chasing after girls for the fun of it. On the other hand, I don't know that I would have ever done that anyway. I think this book is good for high school kids, but it's probably not very practical once you get older. I saw Joshua Harris speak a few years ago, and I knew it would be really chessy and youth groupy. But you know what? It wasn't. He was a very good speaker, and everything he said was solid and scripturally sound. Oh, and he didn't talk about dating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Kissed Dating Goodbye.

Started Reading
January 1, 1997 – Finished Reading
September 20, 2007 – Shelved

message 1: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

David I kissed dating hello.

message 2: by Kanya (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Kanya OPPA! This is so FUNNY! I remember we talked about this book when we ran into each other on campus after having met at Acclaim. This was probably the exact day that you formed the idea that I do not like boys, which in fact, is not TRUE. Hehehe!

Did you know that a boy who was crushing on moi carried around this book on top of his Bible just to impress me? It didn't work, sad to say, even with the handsome brown fedora hat he had on.

Heather N Hmmm, some people seem to have a problem with "extreme" standards, but think about this: when our rebellious depravity separated us from God, Jesus Christ loved us so infinitely that He left His throne in Heaven and made Himself equal with the lowest of criminals, dying the most brutal method of death in the history of mankind, just so that we could have the choice of living freely with Him. THAT is EXTREME!!!

And although I agree that such high standards can sometimes lead to legalism, etc., that result depends on where your heart really is. If you honestly, completely trust God's perfect timing, the motivation comepletely changes. It's not that you HAVE to be single; you GET to be.