K's Reviews > The Honest Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone – Especially Ourselves

The Honest Truth About Dishonesty by Dan Ariely

F 50x66

liked it
bookshelves: audiobooks, readablenonfiction, professionallit

I feel a little bad about the three stars. I enjoy Dan Ariely's entertaining and informative books about behavioral economics and the many ways in which we are far less rational than we want to believe. Exploring the topic of honesty from a variety of angles appeals to me as well, and true to form, Ariely highlighted many interesting aspects of honesty/dishonesty -- contagion of dishonesty, how a sense of altruism and collaboration can facilitate dishonesty, the relationship between creativity and lying, how a sense of depletion or deprivation can use up valuable will power so that we have fewer resources for self-control to do the right thing, etc., etc.

So why only three stars? I think a lot of it was that audio was probably not the ideal venue for this book, at least for me. Although I can enjoy popular nonfiction on audio, it can also be a bit of a harder sell.

Other goodreaders complained about Ariely's repeated use of a matrices test as a stimulus for measuring cheating. I can't really blame Ariely for reusing the same test if that's what worked, and the point wasn't the test itself but what he was exploring. So I don't think that was the problem, but I'm not sure why I occasionally felt overloaded and overwhelmed with research descriptions and data and wanted more narrative.

Since I often found myself spacing out I can really only give this three stars, but don't let that put you off from trying the print version which I suspect was a more rewarding experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Honest Truth About Dishonesty.

June 27, 2013 – Started Reading