Brooke (The Cover Contessa)'s Reviews > Phoenix Overture

Phoenix Overture by Jodi Meadows

bookshelves: novella

So, when I found out that Jodi would be writing a novella to go along with this series, I squeed. When I saw it was from Dossam's POV, I jumped around for joy! I just love Sam. I didn't even care what it was about so long as I could see things from his POV.

And this was not disappointing in the least. I think the most interesting thing about this novella is it's from Sam's POV as a young boy of 15. I was not expecting that in the least. The novella read a bit like a middle grade read because he was younger in this story, but it was not at all boring. I loved Sam's voice.

The story shows us his relationship with his mother, father and brother and how it affected him. How he was always a bit of an outcast because of his love of music. And the story demonstrates how the music shaped him and was always part of his life from the very beginning, even before we were introduced to him.

It's a story of courage and remorse. A story of looking inside and finding out who you are and using that to make yourself happy, and to make the people around you understand who you are. It's sad and heart wrenching at times, giving us a key look into Sam's quiet and reserved nature (born of mistrust and fear).

The book also introduces us to Stef as his young friend. It's interesting to see how they met and how their friendship was borne and solidified.

It's so hard to review a novella because you don't want to spoil anything for the reader who has not read the books as of yet. I will say that this novella could certainly be read prior to starting the series, as it might give more insight into who Dossan truly is. It also introduces us to the world of Heart at it's beginnings. Any way you choose to read it, you won't be disappointed in Meadow's writing and prose.

This just made me that much more excited for Infinite!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phoenix Overture.

Finished Reading