Kristen's Reviews > Lick

Lick by Kylie Scott

4 to 4 1/2–I'm glad I gave this book a second chance–Stars

After my first failed attempt to read this book–explained in my original review below–I knew it would be a good idea to put it aside for awhile before giving it another try. Boy, am I glad I decided to give it another go. I loved this book! I loved the characters, the plot, and the love story. I ended this book with a huge smile on my face.

7/8/13 Revised Review

GOODNESS GRACIOUS! Did I ever put my foot in my mouth with my original review of Lick. Word to the wise, if you know you're an emotional mess from the previous book you've just read, have been up half the night reading your next book and are bone tired, and you're having a difficult time following the plot, maybe it's a good idea to put the book down for the night. Unfortunately, I didn't heed this advice and misconstrued what the author had written. As I read it again with fresh eyes, what I thought was cheating most definitely WAS NOT!!! And I can not stress that enough.

This book deserves a fair review, as I really enjoyed it up until I created a different sub-plot. That said, I need some time before immersing myself in it again, as, frankly, I tainted it for myself.

My apologies to the author, to potential readers, and to those who follow my reviews.

A special thanks to Natasha and Jenny for taking the time to help me understand the mistake I made. Both of you are FIRST CLASS!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lick.

June 26, 2013 – Shelved
Started Reading
May 27, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)

destini mia I was looking forward to reading Lick, especially with all the good reviews I've been seeing, but I had no clue cheating was involved.
That's something I hate, too. Thanks for the heads up!
And great review :)

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill Bummer! I know you hate cheating, Kristen. :(

Natasha is a Book Junkie Which cheating plotline are you referring to?

message 4: by Kristen (last edited Jul 07, 2013 11:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen Destini wrote: "I was looking forward to reading Lick, especially with all the good reviews I've been seeing, but I had no clue cheating was involved.
That's something I hate, too. Thanks for the heads up!
And gre..."

Thanks Destini. I really dislike cheating. Any form of it. I phrased it wrong though. This book isn't a cheating plot-line but the hero sorta cheats and that was the nail in the coffin for me. I just couldn't get past it. It may not bother you though. It's not major cheating.

message 5: by Kristen (last edited Jul 07, 2013 11:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen Jill wrote: "Bummer! I know you hate cheating, Kristen. :("

I really enjoyed this book until that part. Everything was explained but it just didn't work for me after that. I needed fluff and read the wrong book. It's my fault for not reading reviews. :)

Kristen Natasha is a Book Junkie wrote: "Which cheating plotline are you referring to?"

Your comment made me rephrase my review. Thanks for helping me to clarify my words, Natasha. There really wasn't a cheating plot-line so I took that portion out. I just don't enjoy cheating in any form in my romance books. I'm glad you love the book though. This was the WRONG story for me to read right after finishing Opal. Plus, I really wish I would have read or paid attention to the reviews. My own fault. :(

message 7: by Len (new) - rated it 4 stars

Len sorry didn't work for you, good luck on your next read,

Kristen Kellie wrote: "Dang, that's a bummer you didn't like this one."

It was the wrong book at the wrong time. I really should have read reviews. My bad. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Kellie.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Some of my GR friends loved this book. Others...not so much. Is it the cheating that soured your reading experience? I remember the same thing happening with Just One Night series. Just curious. I appreciate honest reviews. Good job, Kristen!

Kristen Yes. I loved the book until then. It just soured it for me. The fact they were married and trying to make it work really bothered me. Plus, I'm just so tired of this plot device in a lot if the popular NA books.

Kristen Len wrote: "sorry didn't work for you, good luck on your next read,"

Thank you, Len. Many loved this book and weren't bothered by what happened. ❤

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Kristen wrote: "Yes. I loved the book until then. It just soured it for me. The fact they were married and trying to make it work really bothered me. Plus, I'm just so tired of this plot device in a lot if the pop..."

It's like sabotage. One NA had cheating, too. The H was frustrated with his relationship so he cheated to put the nail in the coffin. Then he freaked out about all he was losing. It felt like something people do in real life so it didn't bother me. Just went with the flow. Years ago it would have been a story killer. I guess I've seen it so much with other couples, but they don't have the happy endings. :(

message 13: by Natasha is a Book Junkie (last edited Jul 08, 2013 01:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Natasha is a Book Junkie Darling, I read your review and I started wondering whether I read a different book! LOL I know what scene you must be alluding to but remember, he does not go through with it because he loves her and although she does not want him, he wants her so in his eyes they are together. That whole scene was for show because he was intimidated by her. I hate and don't condone cheating in any shape or form but nothing in this book put me on high alert in that regard. I have read a book recently that had frequent cheating (or at least I saw it as cheating) and it had me gripping my kindle trying not to throw it across the room. I'm sad you didn't enjoy this book because I did a lot but that's the beauty of reading - we all experience books differently. I love that!!!! <3

Ingie I would have felt just like you, a story with cheating makes me just so sad. I hope the heroine punished him really well, haha. Like your review, sweet Kristen!

message 15: by Kristen (last edited Jul 08, 2013 12:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen You're all kinds of awesome, Natasha! Thank you! Maybe I need to re-read from 70% and on again. Read it when I'm not so tired. That whole scene just blindsided me and I so needed light and fluffy. It's amazing how your mood can really affect your reading experience. ((Hugs))

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Kristen I'm sorry this didn't word for you also and have to reiterate Natasha's comments regarding the cheating aspect. And you're spot on Kristen. Our moods really do affect how we feel about a story.

message 17: by Kristen (last edited Jul 08, 2013 01:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen Jenny - totallybookedblog wrote: "Kristen I'm sorry this didn't word for you also and have to reiterate Natasha's comments regarding the cheating aspect. And you're spot on Kristen. Our moods really do affect how we feel about a st..."

Hi Jenny, (view spoiler) ((hugs))❤.

Kristen Ingela wrote: "I would have felt just like you, a story with cheating makes me just so sad. I hope the heroine punished him really well, haha. Like your review, sweet Kristen!"

Thanks hon. After talking to a few people who've read this book, I'm thinking I might have read what I considered the cheating aspect wrong. I think I better go back and read the last 30% again. I find it strange that what I had such an issue with no ones has commented about. I will feel awful if I misunderstood what happened. :)

Natasha is a Book Junkie Ahhh, you are referring to THAT scene! Ok, I put no weight on that scene because I knew from the moment she witnessed it that it was not his doing - the skank blindsided him. He did not participate in that scene, if you know what I mean. There was no chance that with that character build-up he would have cheated on her at that point. Cheating for him is a trigger, as we find out later, so no, that scene meant nothing more than being the beginning of the next stage in their relationship and the opening up to one another. <3

Kristen Anna (Bobs Her Hair) wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Yes. I loved the book until then. It just soured it for me. The fact they were married and trying to make it work really bothered me. Plus, I'm just so tired of this plot device in..."

No. They don't have HEA. My best friends husband cheated on her and even though they are still married and are doing good (he was remorseful and she forgave him) I went through hell with her and I have no desire to read that in my romances. I know some love it though. To each their own. Lol. I just try to stay away from those plot-lines.

After talking to Jenny and Natasha, I think I may have misunderstood what happened in this book. I took down my review and will read the last 30% again before I repost my review. I feel like an emotional mess right now. Lol.

message 21: by Kristen (last edited Jul 08, 2013 01:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen Natasha is a Book Junkie wrote: "Ahhh, you are referring to THAT scene! Ok, I put no weight on that scene because I knew from the moment she witnessed it that it was not his doing - the skank blindsided him. He did not participate..."

Yes. That makes sense. Plus, no one has made a comment about that scene (which really had me upset) so I'm thinking I major read that part wrong. Thanks so much for talking this out with me. Plus, an author's work is to be considered here and I would feel terrible if I mislead readers and it hurt her sales.

message 22: by Natasha is a Book Junkie (last edited Jul 08, 2013 01:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Natasha is a Book Junkie Kristen, let me tell you something and this comes from someone who's been cheated on TWICE in her lifetime (at least not by the same guy so kudos to me for that... or not?), cheating is something I will NEVER be ok with, in books or in real life. I have my own very strict definition of it and like I said before, I will never ever condone it. This plotline simply did not have that element at all in it, in my opinion. We have a very insecure heroine here who is terrified of her rockstar husband cheating on her - understandable and totally justifiable considering his womanising ways in the past - but here it is used to make the last quarter of the book happen and for him to do what he ends up doing to prove his love and commitment to her. From the moment I read the words, “It’s not fair that I remember you and you don’t, Evelyn.”, I knew that he loved her from that very first night. David to me was a lovely character who lived for so long with a broken heart and because I knew what Evelyn represented for him, I was sure he would have never cheated on her. <3

Natasha is a Book Junkie Kristen wrote: "Natasha is a Book Junkie wrote: "Ahhh, you are referring to THAT scene! Ok, I put no weight on that scene because I knew from the moment she witnessed it that it was not his doing - the skank blind..."

**HUGS**

message 24: by Kristen (last edited Jul 08, 2013 02:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen You're such a doll, Natasha. And I'm so sorry for what happened to you. Twice!!! No one should ever have to live through that situation and it breaks my heart that it happens all to often.

You've convinced me that I read thing wrong. It's amazing (and a bit scary when you're a reviewer) how a readers emotional state can truly affect the way they read a book. (I probably should have read a July Garwood book after I finished Opal. Lol).

((Hugs))

Geri Reads Looking forward to your review, Kristen. I know you dislike cheating as a plot device. I liked this one personally and it wasn't the cheating that bothered me actually but the writing and the insta-love. LOL! Anyway, hope to read your second review Kristen.

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Kristen wrote: "Jenny - totallybookedblog wrote: "Kristen I'm sorry this didn't word for you also and have to reiterate Natasha's comments regarding the cheating aspect. And you're spot on Kristen. Our moods reall..."

Gotcha! Interested to see what you think going forward. ((Hugs)) x

message 27: by Kristen (last edited Jul 08, 2013 02:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen ♥~♥Geri's~EverAfterRomance ♥~♥ wrote: "Looking forward to your review, Kristen. I know you dislike cheating as a plot device. I liked this one personally and it wasn't the cheating that bothered me actually but the writing and the insta..."

Thanks Geri. I'm waiting until I get some good sleep before reading this book again (2nd half). Something tell me I jumped to conclusions about the kiss and then didn't fully pay attention to what happened next. I agree, the prose needed a little work but with more experience I think this author could go far. Plus, she writes great characterization, which is huge for me.

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Kristen wrote: "Anna (Bobs Her Hair) wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Yes. I loved the book until then. It just soured it for me. The fact they were married and trying to make it work really bothered me. Plus, I'm just so..."

Geri Reads Kristen wrote: "♥~♥Geri's~EverAfterRomance ♥~♥ wrote: "Looking forward to your review, Kristen. I know you dislike cheating as a plot device. I liked this one personally and it wasn't the cheating that bothered me..."

I agree. This is a series so I'm definitely expecting other band members to get their own stories. ♥

Kristen Jenny - totallybookedblog wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Jenny - totallybookedblog wrote: "Kristen I'm sorry this didn't word for you also and have to reiterate Natasha's comments regarding the cheating aspect. And you're spot on Kristen..."

Thank you so much, Jenny, for taking the time to chat with me about this book. It helped a lot. ((Hugs))

message 31: by Dd (new)

Dd Okay..so there's cheating or not?Lol..I'll be waiting for your review to get the answer!:D

message 32: by Dd (new)

Dd And one more thing,I was just going through the comments and I kind of got an idea what must have happened and I have to say...you're AWESOME Kristen.The way you handled everything,really,it's amazing.((hugs you tight))

message 33: by Kristen (last edited Jul 08, 2013 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen Oh my gosh, Dd, you are so sweet!! Thank you so much. Your comment means the world to me. I haven't re-read the book yet but I'm pretty positive there is NO cheating. I ended up getting only 2 hours of sleep before the kids woke up. I refuse to read anything until I have fresh eyes.

Natasha and Jenny handled the situation beautifully, too. They really talked to me about my perceived problem. Never once did they put me on the defensive, and when I realized they both thought I was talking about scene that happened (which I didn't blink an eye at) and neither mentioned the scene I was talking about, I KNEW I must misunderstood what fully happened in the book. It was too big for no one to know what I was talking about.

I blame Opal. I was so invested in the characters and series that the book's ending left me in quite the emotional state. No more cliffys for me. Lol.

message 34: by Kristen (last edited Jul 08, 2013 09:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen Thank you, Kellie. It sucks when you make a huge mistake like I did publicly, but I needed to right a wrong. ❤❤❤

message 35: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Look forward to your review Kristen. :).

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog You are an absolute star! I really do think sometimes it's mood, sleepiness...(let's face it, us avid readers would rather read a few more chapters than get that much needed sleep)- any number of factors that affect what we take from a book. I know it's happened to me. I've misread a plot, scene etc all because of my mood or my concentration was off.

The post you just put up is amazing and so are you xx

Kristen Lisa wrote: "Look forward to your review Kristen. :)."

It will probably be awhile but thank you, Lisa. ♥

message 38: by Kristen (last edited Jul 08, 2013 09:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen Jenny - totallybookedblog wrote: "You are an absolute star! I really do think sometimes it's mood, sleepiness...(let's face it, us avid readers would rather read a few more chapters than get that much needed sleep)- any number of f..."

Thank you soooo much, Jenny. Your comment meant the world to me and it brought tears to my eyes. I so needed it right now. Huge thank you and hugs!!♥♥♥

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Kristen wrote: "Jenny - totallybookedblog wrote: "You are an absolute star! I really do think sometimes it's mood, sleepiness...(let's face it, us avid readers would rather read a few more chapters than get that m..."

BIIIIIG Hugs right back. <3

~ Becs ~ ABSOLUTE respect for giving it another go Kristen!!

Natasha is a Book Junkie Kristen, you are an absolute rockstar!!!!!! ♥♥♥

Blacky *Romance Addict* Sorry this one got messed up for you Kristen :(

Paula I'm glad your giving it another chance. I know how you feel about cheating, so I just didn't think about that part when you said you wanted to read it. HUGS!!!! :)

Kristen Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews wrote: "ABSOLUTE respect for giving it another go Kristen!!"

Thank you so much, Becs. Your comment means a lot to me. ((Hugs))

Kristen Natasha is a Book Junkie wrote: "Kristen, you are an absolute rockstar!!!!!! ♥♥♥"

Thank you, Natasha. You and Jenny have been amazing to me. You'll never know how much I appreciate your kindness. Means the world to me. ❤❤❤

Natasha is a Book Junkie Kristen wrote: "Natasha is a Book Junkie wrote: "Kristen, you are an absolute rockstar!!!!!! ♥♥♥"

I'm hugging you so hard right now!!!! Class act, lady... <3

Kristen Blacky ~Shelly, you're my one and only~ wrote: "Sorry this one got messed up for you Kristen :("

Thanks Blacky. I kinda messed it up for myself. Oh well... MWAH! ♥

Kristen Paula (Romantic Book Affairs Blogspot) wrote: "I'm glad your giving it another chance. I know how you feel about cheating, so I just didn't think about that part when you said you wanted to read it. HUGS!!!! :)"

Thanks Paula. Yeah, I'm not a fan of cheating. It shocked to me when I re-read the section I made huge assumptions about. There is no cheating...at all. In fact, the author made it perfectly clear he didn't cheat. It's truly freaky how the mind can distort things when you're tired and emotional. ♥

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Thanks fro clarifying Kristen. I am actually excited to read now.... as I don't like cheating (later) in stoies either! Look forward to your full review!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Yikes!

*pat pat* You're doing what you can. : /