Michelle's Reviews > Moore to Lose

Moore to Lose by Julie A. Richman

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the author in exchange of an honest review.

*This book contains a cliffhanger that will be resolved in Book 3. It is the second of three books and is NOT a stand alone book. Possible triggers: promiscuity, sexual assault, unsafe sexual situations

We met Schooner Moore in Searching For Moore, as he was reunited with his college sweetheart, Mia Silver, after 24 years. We knew what transpired in Schooner’s life, during those years, but were left wondering what happened to Mia. Moore to Lose, answered those questions.

Moore to Lose focused on Mia’s journey. We already knew she was not the typical, innocent ingénue - she was a tough New York City girl. “Moore to Lose,” showed us the dichotomy of the sweet teenager versus maturing young woman, in some of her early decisions. Decisions that many readers have made in their own lives – good, bad and ugly. Julie A. Richman approached these events with great sensitivity, knowing how deeply the readers were invested in Mia’s happiness. Readers also knew that Mia lived her life for 24 years without Schooner. Moreover, it was unrealistic to believe that an independent, intelligent, vivacious, self-made woman, in her forties would have remained free of friendships and relationships. That was simply not “our” Mia. She was a REAL woman – complex, warm, ebullient, loyal and yes, sometimes sad, and lonely.

Ms. Richman brought back familiar secondary characters and framed the story within the backdrop of New York City. NYC was another character in
Moore to Lose, and served as one of the catalysts in Mia’s voyage of self-discovery. Ms. Richman continued her trademark use of music and popular culture references as touchstones throughout the story. They helped mark the passage of time and kept Schooner with Mia, connected across the miles and years.

Searching For Moore demonstrated Ms. Richman’s storytelling talents. Moore to Lose illustrated her ability to consciously immerse her readers inside the story. Moore to Lose was not the romantic happily ever after, but the necessary bridge that prepared Mia to be reunited with Schooner. Without Moore to Lose, the series would simply be a lovely romp down memory lane.

Readers will identify with Moore to Lose, because it is so much more than a “romance” novel. It is the story of a woman losing, finding, healing and honoring herself and her spirit. We fell in love with Mia in Searching For Moore. In Moore to Lose, we understand why we love her. As Mia lives her life, we live the experiences with her.

Searching For Moore was a roller coaster ride of emotions. Moore to Lose took that ride, plunged it into complete darkness and added loops, spins and rolls. Ms. Richman promised that all issues would be resolved in the third, and final, book in the Needing Moore series. This reader will be anxiously waiting for that book. In the meantime, I highly recommend Moore to Lose for readers who want rich characters who evoke tears, anger, joy, heartbreak, forgiveness, friendship, acceptance, and ultimately, love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moore to Lose.

June 26, 2013 – Shelved