Ricki's Reviews > Readicide: How Schools Are Killing Reading and What You Can Do About It

Readicide by Kelly Gallagher

This is a MUST-READ for English/Language Arts teachers. Gallagher does a phenomenal job balancing statistics to support his theory for why American schools are killing reading. My only (ever so slight) criticism would be that there could be even more emphasis on practical techniques that teachers could use in their classrooms. Gallagher offers numerous techniques and as a more experienced teacher, I found it easy to employ his philosophies, but I felt as if there could be even more activities for beginning teachers. Teachers who completely agree with Gallagher's thoughts will find many gems in this complex, articulate book, as they will learn supplementary techniques to employ in their classrooms and will have justification for their teaching practices.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Readicide.

June 26, 2013 – Started Reading
June 26, 2013 – Shelved
July 3, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Mark You hit on my main issue with the book: that it's more criticism than techniques. I use this book in class to get my preservice teachers basically angry about the state of reading in schools, then we turn to Gallagher's Deeper Reading for more practical strategies that they can use day-to-day. You might want to check that one out, if you haven't already. Cris Tovani books are also a good follow-up, I think.

Ricki Oh, thank you very much for that suggestion. I am teaching an undergraduate reading course next semester, and I was going to use this as a jumping off point to discuss reading in general, and then I was going to turn to Kylene Beers' When Kids Can't Read. I haven't read it yet, but it came highly recommended. Have you read that one? Is Deeper Reading superior?

Mark Actually, I've taught the Beers book a lot in past years, and absolutely loved it. I only moved to Deeper Reading for a change of pace, but I think either would give you what you're looking for. There is some crossover between them. I would probably recommend Beers a little more (this past semester, I had the class read Deeper Reading, and then I supplemented that with some other strategies from WKCR). But I think starting with Readicide is a great idea - it helps get my students very receptive to the strategies, because they can how serious the issue is in secondary schools.

Ricki Ah, perfect. I am really liking the Beers book, and my wallet could use a break from buying all of the books people recommended. I am glad to hear your thoughts. THANK YOU for your help! :oD