Delee's Reviews > Dangerous Girls

Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed, betrayal, girls-behaving-badly, mystery, ya, disappointed-with-the-ending, own, ebooks

I was a sheltered teen in the 80s. I wasn't allowed to date until I was 16, and even then they were group dates, no one on one. I also had to call my parents throughout my evenings-which at times was difficult because there were...*GASP*...no cell phones! I had a little bit more freedom by the time I was heading into my last year of high school, but let me tell you-if I had asked to go to Aruba for Spring break, I would have had to pick my parents up off the floor after they both finished having hysterical giggle fits. Their answer after that would have been NO! Nein, nei, ni hea, non...no!

I have too many pet peeves to count, but high on my list are: spoiled and shallow children/teens, tabloid journalism, media in the courtroom, and the media's influence over public perception of a person's guilt or innocence. DANGEROUS GIRLS has them all...

Set in beautiful Aruba- Anna, boyfriend Tate, best friend Elise and a mutual group of friends, set out to have the best Spring break ever. Before the week is out, one of them will be dead, and one of them will be charged with her murder.

DANGEROUS GIRLS to me was a combination of a few true life cases: a little Natalee Holloway, a little Casey Anthony, and A LOT of Amanda Knox. So if you were glued to the TV watching the media coverage of any of those, the odds are you will love this book!

[image error]Nancy Grace photo nancy_grace__zps0f8a15d4.jpg

I still don't know how I feel about it really. It is another one of those books I liked right up until the end. I feel like I am saying that too much these days " I was disappointed with the ending." I don't want to give too much away. So I will add, sometimes a book with a twist ending is great, and sometimes it just seems so unnecessary.

That goes for movies too, MR. M. Night Shyamalan!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Girls.

Finished Reading
June 26, 2013 – Shelved
August 12, 2013 –

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara Garcia Really?!
so you wouldn't recommend?

message 2: by Delee (last edited Apr 23, 2014 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Delee No, I liked it, and I would recommend it. I keep pretty close to the way the ratings are labelled. If I didn't like it I would have given it 1 star. If I thought it was okay I would have given it a two...three is liking it. I will write a review in the next couple of days. For me a lower rating isn't necessarily saying the book is bad. Just that it didn't click with me. :)

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh Yeh, love an intelligent rant. Don't think this one's for me but fun reading your review. Cell-phones, smell-phones - I remember the days of party lines. Great excuse - sorry dad, I tried to call - I really did...

Delee No Florence, I don't think this one would be for you. :)

We had two phone lines in our household so I was never able to use the excuse of not being able to get through.

Margitte Fabulous review! I just love your attitude. I followed the Aruba saga in the media for a few years. What a sad event for all involved.

Delee Many people love my attitude (from far away)...lol. Thanks Margitte!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Ohh I see now, lol. Guess that ending was a make-or-break type deal. I didn't like the spoiled rich kids at first either, but meh...looked over it for the most part.

Delee Yeeeeah- I wasn't a fan of the ending, but even before that, I only liked the book- I never looooooooved the book...

However I do usually take in to account when reading YA- that I am not a YA anymore- so I try as a rule not to judge them quite as harshly.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 23, 2014 09:19AM) (new)

Delee wrote: "Yeeeeah- I wasn't a fan of the ending, but even before that, I only liked the book- I never looooooooved the book...

See that makes sense, I actually like YA--depending. But, I judge pretty hard either way.

Well have fun reading Jaws :D I'm sure it's more exciting

message 10: by Delee (last edited Apr 23, 2014 09:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Delee Ohhhh even though I am faaaaaaaaar away from being a young adult :( :( :( -I still do enjoy a lot of them, as a whole they are more fast-paced than adult fiction.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Delee wrote: "Ohhhh even though I am faaaaaaaaar away from being a young adult :( :( :( -I still do enjoy a lot of them, as a whole they are more fast-paced than adult fiction."

Yes! I think that's why I can get into them so easily. Or maybe because I'm not over the whole I'm-a-kid phase even when I have my own kid. *Shrugs* but I like to read pretty much anything other than nonfiction.

Delee I am in my 40s and I am still not over my "I'm a kid" phase...lol

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Oh yes, I remember calling Mom a million time SANS cell phones as a teenager. Really all it ever did was foster a very creative brand of sneakiness in me ;)

message 15: by Delee (last edited Apr 23, 2014 01:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Delee I can sooooooooo see you being sneaky. ;)

I on the other hand- was always completely upfront...and a delight to those allllll around me...hahahaha

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I would have LOVED hanging out with you!!! Let's build a time machine!!!!

Delee Okay...you start, and I will come in and help with the finishing touches.

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Delee wrote: "Okay...you start, and I will come in and help with the finishing touches."

LOL!!!!:)

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Great review! Not sure I'd read it though, but I'll help with the time machine :-)

Delee Kandice wrote: "Great review! Not sure I'd read it though, but I'll help with the time machine :-)"

Ohhhhh good...now there is no excuse for this not to work- I will supervise from here.