ari's Reviews > Falling Hard

Falling Hard by Megan Sparks

bookshelves: 2013-book-challenge, summer-2013-reading-list

It has been a while since I have read a 5/5 star book. Though directed towards teens, Falling Hard is the perfect summer read even for YA lovers!

Annie is fourteen and had just moved to Liberty Heights, Illinois with her father; leaving her life in London behind. Her first of day of school turns out to be just as she has seen in all the American Teenage movies -- haughty kids, stuck up cheerleaders, model-like jocks, and of course the unwanted attention of being the new girl – her 5’11 height and British accent doesn’t really help. As Annie starts to question her decision to move here, she meets Lexie, her neighbor and Jessie a friend with the same taste in music. Lexie shows her around the school and the incredible thrill of Roller Derby. The competition is tough, and whether or not she is cut out for it, you’ll have to read it to find out.

I am impressed with Megan Sparks! After countless reads about troubled and angst-y teens in YA novels, it is refreshing to read something more light. Annie has her own family problems, but instead of turning to the dark, she deals with it and tries to live her life to the best. I wished I had a book like this when I was in middle school or high school, to help me understand the importance of making the right decisions and choosing your friends wisely -- a great message towards young readers.

The plot seems like your every other typical teenage drama, but better. For one, the drama itself isn’t domineering – never had I felt it was over dramatic or over done. The cheerleader squad is annoying and has a problem with Annie, but they don’t play the major part in the book, which usually I find boring and irritating. In the end, you’ll see that it’s about accepting a new life, the changes, and Annie’s fun and amazing relationship with her dad (I love my Pa, but you have to admit Annie’s dad is pretty cool), rather than her guardian, he felt more of her friend. Their relationship was awing.

Lexie is the friend that every person needs! She’s cool and upfront with things, but she doesn’t tell you how to live your life, or get hysterics with you when you choose to enjoy something entirely different then what she is for. She also doesn’t let other tell her what she is to do – what she wants to be. Lexie definitely brought colors into Falling Hard. If Megan Sparks decides to write a companion novel, I am all for Lexie being the protagonist!

What surprised me most was the ending. The downside to reading an e-book, is not knowing, when you are nearing the last page. It took me by surprise, but it wasn’t bad. It ended with everything falling in to place, but because I am so use to more intense relations between a male and female protagonist, I sort of expected the same for Falling Hard. I wouldn’t change the ending for anything, though!

A perfect five star rating, if you are in need of a light-hearted summer read, with fun and sporty characters, I recommend Falling Hard for you.

Happy reading!

Thank you to those at Capstone Young Readers for offering me the chance to discover Megan Sparks, and her amazing novel! Also, thank you for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Hard.

June 26, 2013 – Started Reading