Marion Hudson's Reviews > The Sea of Tranquility

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

Jun 26, 2013

bookshelves: ya-romance

This novel has the same theme as numerous other Young Adult novels - an emotionally damaged boy meets an emotionally damaged girl and together they embark on a journey of healing and love. Despite the same-old, same-old storyline, I found myself completely engrossed and read the book from beginning to end in two sittings. This could be attributed to the mystery surrounding the events that led to Nastya Kashnikov's refusal to speak. There are snippets of the event throughout the story and these slowly build towards the great reveal at the end. Along the way we meet some intriguing characters, including Nastya, (emotionally damaged girl), Josh (emotionally damaged boy) and Drew (the very appealing, happy-go-lucky playboy with far more depth than he will admit to).

There is just the right amount of sentimentality and angst, and none of the characters come across as whiney, snivelling wrecks. Josh channels his pain into the making of furniture and chooses not to engage with his peers. Nastya wears slutty clothing and make-up and cuts herself off completely from the world by refusing to speak. And then you have the charming Drew who is the catalyst that brings the two together, mostly because he is completely unaffected by their carefully constructed boundaries and barges right through them.

Overall this was a good read, and I look forward to more by this author.

Visit my Blog Another Book Blogger for more of my reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Tranquility.

Started Reading