Tracy's Reviews > The Sea of Monsters

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Jul 27, 2009

We explore Percy Jackson's crumbling understanding of family in this novel by Rick Riordan. He knows his mother loves him, but his world is changing, especially after discovering he has a half-brother. The concept of family is further explored as we learn more about Annabeth and her past. Rick Riordan has a real talent for writing junior fiction. This book reaches out and tells you something real, even while it's making you laugh.

Great for any age, this book was a little low on the maturity scale, but still highly enjoyable. Riordan's explanation of attention deficit disorder was especially well written. Plus, I could pass a mythology test now that I've read it.

Why did the ancient Greeks love mythology? Because it was relevant to them long ago, it was entertaining to hear of the follies of the gods, and it gave them novel explanations of how the world worked. How does Rick Riordan make Greek mythology lovable? He made it current and relevant, entertaining, and gave us novel explanations for how Greek mythology and current scientific views can fit together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Monsters.