Dominica's Reviews > Revolution 2020: Love, Corruption, Ambition

Revolution 2020 by Chetan Bhagat

bookshelves: non-western-writers, own

I was tossing up between 4 and 5 stars. I really enjoyed this book, and once I actually made the time to sit down with it, I got through it pretty quickly. I didn't want to put it down, so interested in Gopal's story was I.

I don't know a huge amount about India. I visited the country twice this year (which is where I bought the book), but didn't go to Varanasi, where this story takes place. But, having lived in Malaysia for over 4 and a half years now, the corruption described in Gopal's tale seemed pretty familiar to how I hear things are here. I enjoyed getting to know Varanasi through Bhagat's descriptions. His descriptions of tourists amused me, too. There were certainly things I could connect with there, being someone who has regularly been a white tourist in Asia.

For the most part, it was a story that I think people could relate to, no matter what their background is. There were a couple of things that might confuse non-Indian audiences, like when they talk about money in lakhs and crores. It didn't bother me so much once I figured it out (but I had my husband help me understand, as he is more familiar with India than I am).

The love triangle aspect of the story is probably what appealed to me the most. Gopal certainly made me react in a lot of different ways. The ending made me both sad and happy, but I think it worked well with the story and can't imagine it any other way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revolution 2020.

June 24, 2013 – Started Reading
July 18, 2013 –
page 95
July 20, 2013 –
page 224
75.68% "I don't want to put this book down, but it's bedtime."
July 21, 2013 – Finished Reading