bsc's Reviews > The Year of the Flood

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

Jul 27, 2009

bookshelves: fiction, dystopian, read-2009, science-fiction, literary-sf

This is a "sidequel" to Oryx and Crake. Though I believe Flood would stand alone pretty well, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you read it first.

I really loved everything about this book. I liked it more than Oryx and Crake, but at the same time I believe it makes Oryx and Crake a much better book. It gives a wholly different view of the world from the viewpoint of the Gardeners, which provides a wide-array of great characters.

Really makes me want to reread Oryx and Crake, even though I just read it a few months ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Flood.

Quotes bsc Liked

Margaret Atwood
“All Creatures know that some must die
That all the rest may take and eat;
Sooner or later, all transform
Their blood to wine, their flesh to meat.

But Man alone seeks Vengefulness,
And writes his abstract Laws on stone;
For this false Justice he has made,
He tortures limb and crushes bone.

Is this the image of a god?
My tooth for yours, your eye for mine?
Oh, if Revenge did move the stars
Instead of Love, they would not shine.”
Margaret Atwood, The Year of the Flood

July 27, 2009 – Shelved
September 24, 2009 –
page 0
0.0% "Library copy has arrived. Got to finish Foucault's Pendulum first though."
September 30, 2009 –
page 15
October 1, 2009 –
page 45
October 2, 2009 –
page 102
23.67% "Enjoying this immensely so far"
October 5, 2009 –
October 9, 2009 – Shelved as: read-2009
October 9, 2009 – Shelved as: science-fiction
October 9, 2009 – Shelved as: literary-sf
October 9, 2009 – Finished Reading

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I loved Oryx and Crake, which I heard this is a companion book to, of sorts - but I'll wait for the paperback. Still, curious to hear what you think.

message 2: by bsc (new) - rated it 5 stars

bsc I think if you loved Oryx and Crake, you will love this. It sort of completes Oryx and Crake (though not as much as I'd like) and has a lot more likable characters, while expanding the world by letting us see how things were out in the pleebs.

message 3: by Brad (new) - added it

Brad You've sold me, Ben. I am putting it on my Christmas list so I can read it and then revisit Oryx and Crake.

Sandi I read Oryx and Crake a long, long time ago. It still haunts me. Is this one as disturbing?

Cindy Interesting... I loved Oryx & Crake, but I only found YOTF to be so-so. In my opinion, O&C has a tighter story-line. In YOTF I found the timeline of the narrative to be quite confusing, and the two narrators didn't have different enough voices, despite their backgrounds.

However, I totally agree that YOTF has more likeable characters. And you're totally right that YOTF really fleshes out Oryx & Crake in a nice way, which makes it well worth the read.

message 6: by bsc (new) - rated it 5 stars

bsc Sandi wrote: "I read Oryx and Crake a long, long time ago. It still haunts me. Is this one as disturbing?"

I don't think it is quite as disturbing. It has a different feel to it and is more enjoyable, though it has its share of horrors.

Lori Thanks Ben, you're the first of my friends to read this. I read O&C summer of 08, so it's still very fresh in my mind, and it also felt incomplete in a way. Someone postulated that YOTF might just be the 2nd book of a trilogy.

message 8: by bsc (new) - rated it 5 stars

bsc Cindy wrote: "Interesting... I loved Oryx & Crake, but I only found YOTF to be so-so. In my opinion, O&C has a tighter story-line. In YOTF I found the timeline of the narrative to be quite confusing, and the two..."

I can see that about it being confusing. It was hard to piece together at times. I've read quite a few of the negative reviews and there are some good points made, but none of them bothered me enough to matter.

message 9: by bsc (new) - rated it 5 stars

bsc Gypsy wrote: "The Handmaid's Tale had such a disappointing ending that I'm not keen on Atwood at this point. I want to read either O&C or YOTF, depending on whichever one has the stronger ending."

I didn't mind the ending of Handmaid's Tale but it was abrupt. Though Oryx and Crake's ending is probably somewhat more satisfying, you may be put off a bit by it, too.

message 10: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick good thread.

Atwood podcasts for the book launch, two good interviews on 'Fresh Air' and 'The Agony Column', for those interested in hearing the author talk about YOTF and her work.

Cindy Thanks for the heads up, Nick. I also saw Atwood on PBS's NewsHour. She was in her home garden and I couldn't help but imagine her on a God's Gardeners' rooftop somewhere. Here's the video: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/blog/...

Chi-Chi A I just started YOTF but I haven't read O&C however I just bought it! Did I spoil it for myself by starting YOTF?