Tracy's Reviews > Faefever

Faefever by Karen Marie Moning

it was ok
bookshelves: monsters

This is by far the weakest book of the series (so far). It began with lots (and lots) of navel-gazing. There's wasn't a whole lot of action, and though there were tidbits, for 10 hours of 'listening pleasure' not a lot of new info was revealed.

Now, I'm going to complain about the sex. It seems like I always seem to complain about sex in my reviews, but that's really not true. I read about 250 books a year and many of them have appropriate, makes-sense-to-the-story sex in them and I don't complain one little bit.

In this story, Barrons is obsessed about whom Mac is bonking. Vlane is obsessed with bonking Mac. The old woman assumes that Mac is bonking every Fae in Dublin. Mac's mind wanders to what it would be like to bonk Barrons. Vlane 'rocks her world' with the barest touch while providing her with a way to call upon him (apparently cellphones don't reach Faerie). Enough already!

And I know I mentioned in a review of a previous book in the series, but what's with the demanding language? "You WILL do this." "You will NOT do that." In theory, Barrons knows Mac well enough by now that he should not assume that she's going to be a traitor. And Rowena just needs to get eaten by a shade.

But wait! There's more! Maybe it was meant to be angst, internal dialogue, whatever - but for crying out loud, Mac, quit jumping to the conclusion that Barron's a traitor every time something goes pear-shaped. Once or twice per book might be okay, but she does it over and over and over again.

This is a harsh review (for me), but I'm disappointed. I devoured the first two books. This one didn't even ride on the momentum of the previous two. In fact, at the end of the book, the author came on and said something that gave me the impression she knew it sucked, too.

I will still read the 4th book in the series... but I'm just 45 minutes of audiobook play away from abandoning it altogether.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faefever.

July 26, 2009 – Shelved