Merna 's Reviews > Sabriel

Sabriel by Garth Nix

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, my-2013-reads

“Let this be my final lesson. Everyone and everything has a time to die.”

I really wish I had liked Sabriel more than I actually did. It had a decent idea, however, as I kept reading I continuously kept thinking about events in my life or my plans for the next day. My mind kept drifting off because I was purely so bored. I believe merely saying a book is boring isn’t a convincing or a valid reason to conclude that the book wasn’t good.

Have you ever read a book where endless things are happening after another, but you feel as if barely anything is occurring, because the action is always so similar to the previous ones that ensued in the book and it feels overused?

The plot essentially went like this:
Sabriel defeats it
Sabriel escapes
Sabriel escapes
Sabriel Defeats it

Anyway, I thought the concept for the story was intriguing at first.

The story is set in two fictional countries. To the south lies Ancelstierre where technology and society is comparable to the 20th century England, and to the north lies the Old Kingdom where magic and spirits wander the land.

In the Old Kingdom there is always a sorcerer with the title Abhorsen who puts the dead (spirits) to rest. The dead are raised by Necromancers or black magicians, who roam the Old Kingdom. Basically an Abhorsen is a Necromancer themselves, only they do the opposite. Sabriel is an Abhorsen who lives in Ancelstierre and her dad lives in the Old Kingdom. She sets on a journey to the Old Kingdom after her father’s sudden disappearance.

However, quarter way through the book:
description

Sabriel was a likable female character, so I have to give the male author some applause for writing believable female character. On the other hand, I felt no connection with Sabriel since her emotions where rarely expressed, instead there was a massive amount of description about many other things that caused me to yawn endlessly. Her love interest is - well, not interesting. He was flat and dull.

I feel as if I’m betraying the fantasy genre for not liking this as much as I probably should. I feel an obligation to like fantasy books that have original concepts, considering fantasy is one of my favourite genres.

Oh well, I still praise the idea of the story very much and I think that solely earns 3 stars, but I didn't find it to be an entertaining or engaging read for it to earn anymore than that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sabriel.

June 24, 2013 – Started Reading
page 70
July 9, 2013 –
page 364
July 9, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) this was one of my favourite books when I was a teen! Hope you enjoy!

message 2: by Merna (last edited Jun 24, 2013 09:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Merna I will, thanks! :D I heard it was kind of like lord of the rings.

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) really? Personally I don't think it's anything like it, but I suppose I can see how some people may think that lol.

message 4: by Merna (last edited Jul 09, 2013 07:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Merna Well, as long as there's some action and a dense plot I will be happy.

message 5: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ I hate it when a book can't keep my attention! I've had that happen like you where my mind just wonders off onto things like my pile of laundry that needs to be done. Sorry this didn't work for you, Merna. Hopefully you'll get something more exciting next! Great honest review. :)

Merna I know and you have to go and reread the part where you wondered off again. Thanks Rachel btw xD

message 7: by Basuhi (new)

Basuhi Haha..the Sabriel defeats it part was..funny !
Well, yeah it's pretty disappointing when characters become invincible. It just does not come across as human :P

message 8: by Merna (last edited Jul 10, 2013 06:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Merna Yeah, sometimes I feel like I expect a lot from characters. They can't be too selfless but can't be too selfish either. They can't brag on about their looks or how hot they find a guy. They can't be way too physically or emotionally weak, but can't be on the other hand too strong since they'll become too special and so on. xD

Elena Glad to know I'm not alone in being underwhelmed by this supposedly AMAZING book.

message 10: by Kristalia (new) - added it

Kristalia ahahahahhahahah lol :D
great review :D

Merna Elena wrote: "Glad to know I'm not alone in being underwhelmed by this supposedly AMAZING book."

Underwhelmed is good word to describe my feelings about this book haha :)

Merna Kristalia wrote: "ahahahahhahahah lol :D
great review :D"

Thankss Kristalia <3

Lauren Given how much I loved Lirael, I really expected to like this book more than I did, but your review really does a good job of summing up my thoughts on it. I think Nix did a much better job on the emotional aspects of his characters in the rest of the trilogy.