Nancy McKibben's Reviews > Screwed

bookshelves: suspense, reviewed
Recommended for: fans of Elmore Leonard and the like

Screwed
By Eoin Colfer

Once upon a time I read Eoin Colfer’s Artemis Fowl books to my youngest son. For children, they were a little edgy, I thought; the author himself described the series as "'Die Hard with fairies.’” I could imagine him writing for adults, and now he has.

Screwed is the second novel (yes, you can read them out of order) starring protagonist Dan McAvoy, an Irish immigrant and former UN peacekeeper who owns a crummy bar in New Jersey and surrounds himself with a quirky group of friends - a shady plastic surgeon (they are linked by the “blood and shrapnel” of combat), a psychotic girlfriend who recognizes him only about half the time - and a scary bunch of enemies.

When I read this book, I thought “Elmore Leonard” because it’s very funny. Then I dipped into it again just now, to look for some funny passages to quote, and noticed how dark and violent it is. And so it is, but I mostly found it funny because the inner dialogue of the protagonist is unrelentingly comical - as his psychologist points out in the novel, McAvoy uses humor as a coping mechanism.
Fabulous. I’m expendable. When have I ever been anything else? They’re gonna scrawl that on my body bag I get buried in. What’s-his-name was expendable.
Or
There’s only one iron left in the fire now. It ain’t my iron and I didn’t light the fire but I gotta put it out before this metaphor gets away from me and no one has a clue what the hell I’m talking about.

Or
Fortz is living proof that evolution goes both ways. He’s got the aforementioned helmet-head look going on, with a skull that shines like a buffed bowling ball. The man is completely hairless as far as I can see and his features seem to belong to a much smaller face. It’s as if his head kept growing but his eyes, nose and mouth said screw it at about age fifteen.
So, although I am not a fan of the dark and violent, I seem to like funny noir, and Screwed is both. Just think of Eoin Colfer as Elmore Leonard’s twisted, younger Irish cousin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Screwed.

May 9, 2013 – Started Reading