Holly's Reviews > Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

Jul 26, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: inspirational, non-fiction, read-in-2009
Recommended for: teachers, advocates for children

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin tells an amazing story of one man who makes a world of difference for the people of Pakistan, especially young girls. Seeing what Greg Mortenson has done in building schools and promoting peace is simply inspiring - he is a true American hero. This book should be read by anyone whose ever aspired to help others but thought their one-person power was too small. Mortenson will show you otherwise.

This book also offered a truly interesting perspective of the events of 9/11 from Pakistanis' points of view. Their empathy for Greg's America and determination to protect him was uplifting - a reminder that we really are all connected here on this planet, just as humans.

The biggest thing I didn't like about this book was that even though it was written by Greg Mortenson (the main character) and his co-author David Oliver Relin, the book is still written in third person. Often times, I felt like I was reading just one long quote from Mortenson, and much of the story felt second-hand, like a newspaper article in which I couldn't decipher truth from the added "flair." I really wish the authors had worked together to write it in first person from Greg's perspective, because I think it would have offered so much more emotion to and connection from the reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Tea.