Jenni Arndt's Reviews > Nomad

Nomad by J.L. Bryan

bookshelves: arc-ebook

Actual rating is 3.5, rounded up because I loved the ending so much!

I became a fast fan of author J.L. Bryan when I began his Songs of Magic series and fell in love with the adorable cast of characters. I was a bit wary going into Nomad as it’s a dystopian novel and let’s face it, there is nothing more overdone than dystopian in YA fiction right now. But rest assured that Nomad is not your typical dystopian novel. At times I struggled with it a bit but in the wrap up it had me captivated and I adored how everything came together in the end.

We meet Raven as she comes to on the side of interstate 65 with no idea how she got there and no idea where she came from. We watch as she unravels her past and realizes that she has travelled from the year 2064 to carry out a very important mission. She is to change the course of history and prevent Logan Carraway from becoming the dictator that he is in her time. It quickly comes to light that this mission isn’t as easy as simply assassinating Logan, there are so many fine threads weaved together as time goes on and so much more needs to be changed. I liked that we got to learn alongside Raven in this one, she had no idea what was going on in the beginning and really didn’t know what to do. We get to work through the information that she finds along with her and I think that really helped me grasp the science of the time travel aspect of the story. Normally I find myself pretty confused with stories such as this but the information that we get through people that Raven meets is laid out quite well and I was able to follow along really easily.

It’s good that I didn’t have to scratch my head too much on the science of this one because that allowed me to really get to know the characters. Raven is the definition of a kick ass chick. She not only isn’t afraid to take action when the situation calls for it but she is also able to step back and use her head which was perfect. She didn’t overreact to everything and jump to conclusions, she was able to remove herself from the situation and see the bigger picture. Raven also didn’t become some smitten girl who lost herself as the novel progressed. She was a bit quick to romance with Logan but she always had her wits about her and was constantly working towards achieving her goal. We see her really struggle with her feelings and accepting that she did have a connection with Logan even though that felt so wrong. Logan was also a character that I came to like quite a bit. He was a free spirit, thinking about how the Logan we meet in 2013 became the dictator of 2064 is crazy because he was such a nice guy in his past.

One complaint that I do want to touch on briefly is that the pacing did feel a bit off in places. As Raven settled in in New Haven and figured out what she needed to do to get to her goal I did find my interest in the story waning a bit. It took a bit for the action to pick back up from the beginning and it did lead me to be bored in chapters here and there. Though once the halfway mark hits the story really picks up and I was sucked in and enjoyed the ride. The way the story concludes is my favorite though, we get to see how all the strings of time have changed and how that affected everyones future.

A strong addition to an overdone genre, Nomad creates a dystopian society that is well done and incredibly frightening. If you haven’t read anything by J.L. I think this could definitely be a good place to start!

An Advanced Reader's Copy was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nomad.

June 24, 2013 – Shelved
June 24, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
June 24, 2013 – Shelved as: arc-ebook
July 17, 2013 – Started Reading
July 17, 2013 –
33.0% "It's funny because I built a dresser from Ikea the other night and it had the drawing of a guy over the bed crossed out and beside it the one of a guy over the dresser with another guy (showing that you need help) and he DID have a pencil behind his ear! *diesi"
July 19, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jenni Arndt Dies. Not diesi. #fail