kat's Reviews > The Ocean at the End of the Lane

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

bookshelves: read-in-2014, favorites, owned-kindle, owned-paper

My favorite Neil Gaiman story in quite some time. Deeply moving, terrifying, beautiful, true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Quotes kat Liked

Neil Gaiman
“Grown-ups don't look like grown-ups on the inside either. Outside, they're big and thoughtless and they always know what they're doing. Inside, they look just like they always have. Like they did when they were your age. Truth is, there aren't any grown-ups. Not one, in the whole wide world.”

Neil Gaiman
“I do not miss childhood, but I miss the way I took pleasure in small things, even as greater things crumbled. I could not control the world I was in, could not walk away from things or people or moments that hurt, but I took joy in the things that made me happy.”

Neil Gaiman
“Nobody looks like what they really are on the inside. You don’t. I don’t. People are much more complicated than that. It’s true of everybody.”

Neil Gaiman
“And did I pass?" The face of the old woman on my right was unreadable in the gathering dusk. On my left the younger woman said, "You don't pass or fail at being a person, dear.”

Neil Gaiman
“How can you be happy in this world? You have a hole in your heart. You have a gateway inside you to lands beyond the world you know. They will call you, as you grow.”
neil gaiman, The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Neil Gaiman
“I make art, sometimes I make true art, and sometimes it fills the empty places in my life. Some of them. Not all.”
tags: art

Neil Gaiman
“Words save our lives, sometimes.”

Neil Gaiman
“I saw the world I had walked since my birth and I understood how fragile it was, that the reality was a thin layer of icing on a great dark birthday cake writhing with grubs and nightmares and hunger.”

Neil Gaiman
“You were her way here, and it's a dangerous thing to be a door.”

June 24, 2013 – Shelved