Chelsea (Starbucks & Books Obsession)'s Reviews > Taste the Heat

Taste the Heat by Rachel  Harris

bookshelves: arc, blog-tour

Taste the Heat was such a cute and fun read. It is so nice to read a light romantic book once and a while and take a break from the intensity of new adult novels. The writing style is so reminiscent of Lauren Blakely, whom I adore, so I am an instant fan of Rachel Harris.

Colby is a renowned chef in Las Vegas, where she owns her own Italian restaurant. She is back in her home town in Louisiana after leaving 12 years ago. She immediately reconnects with her childhood crush, Jason, who happens to be her brother’s best friend. All of her feelings come rushing back but she doesn’t know if she can ever trust another man again. Jason is instantly attracted to Colby before realizing who she is. Once he knows, he can’t stop thinking about her and she may be the woman to bring down all his barriers.

“Coming home was always a tug and pull—warm memories with apprehension.”

I really liked Colby. She was smart, funny and one hell of a chef! She has been through some traumatic events when she was younger when it comes to men. It has made her guarded and un-trusting of them. When Jason comes back into her life, she really struggles internally with her feelings for him and her distrust in men.

Jason was an amazing and loyal man. He was a good father and everything he does is for his daughter. He immediately feels things for Colby that he hasn’t felt since his wife died and it is very confusing for him. He can tell that there is something holding Colby back and he wants to open her up and get her to trust him.

“When was the last time he’d had such a visceral reaction to the simple sight of a woman?”

Emma was the star of this book and I loved her. She loved her dad so much and she was such a fan of Colby. It was so cute how she tried to play matchmaker and encouraged Jason to go after Colby. She made me laugh and smile throughout the entire book.

Colby and Jason are two people who have both been through a tragic event that has caused them to put up barriers and not allow people in. Their re-connection couldn't have been more perfect because they both needed someone to bring them to life again. Both of them started out with a physical attraction and thinking that they wanted just a fling with no emotions attached. I knew that wouldn’t work because Colby has always been in love with Jason and he is such a passionate man. I loved the way they shared their most painful memories with each other and the way they really connected. The sexual tension between them was smoking hot but the emotional connection that Colby made with Jason and Emma was heartwarming and endearing.

“He bought himself an entire summer with Colby, and maybe, just maybe, it would convince her to stay.”

Overall, I loved this book and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It was a light; fun read and had all the elements to make me smile. The characters were likable and easy to connect with. The plot was fun and flowed well. The writing was excellent and the style was fun and easy to read. This is my first Rachel Harris book and I will definitely be reading more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taste the Heat.

June 23, 2013 – Shelved
June 23, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
July 4, 2013 – Started Reading
July 4, 2013 –
page 87
45.55% "Loving this book so far!"
July 6, 2013 – Finished Reading