Abby's Reviews > Catch-22

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Jun 23, 2013

bookshelves: classics

Despite the irritating and unnecessary degradation of all of its women characters, Catch-22 remains some of the most clever writing I've ever read. The plot unfolds early-on as a series of vignettes that skip wildly in time and place, so it can be hard to stay interested, which is what my folly was the first time reading it. However, if you focus more on the wit and the writing and forget the notion of reading a straight-forward action sequence, you will have more fun reading than you would expect.
The last hundred or so pages, though- I forgot from my first time reading that they are so gripping, and somewhat horrifying, and completely all-kinds-of-wrong (and, yet, still occasionally hilarious) that they beg to be read straight through, which I recommend. The central theme of war-is-madness is never driven home so clearly than in those last hundred pages, where the storyline finally straightens out but everything else goes topsy-turvy.

Catch-22 will delight, entertain, and definitely tickle the word-lover's fancy (I have an extensive list of words from this novel that I needed to look up); but it will also frustrate and horrify. Definitely original, definitely worth four stars (with that one taken off for the treatment of the women characters), and definitely worth more than one reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch-22.

June 23, 2013 – Started Reading
June 23, 2013 – Shelved
June 23, 2013 –
page 68
15.01% "A book that is so insane, so hard to follow, and so hectically hilarious that it deserves- or even demands- a second reading. So here I go!"
July 15, 2013 – Finished Reading