Carla's Reviews > O Labirinto da Rosa

O Labirinto da Rosa by Titania Hardie

Jul 25, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: own, portuguese, 2009

The Portuguese edition of this book came to my hands by chance, since I won it in a giveaway. I was interested in it from the moment I heard it was going to be published in Portuguese, reminding me a little of when I anxiously expected, some years ago, for The Da Vinci Code. Unfortunately, the memories didn't stop there as, just like what happened with Dan Brown's book, this one has a very disappointing ending despite the pretty good start, and one of the best twists I have read so far.

The story starts by following Will, heir to a secret kept from the 17th century to the present day by the women of his family. However, a group wants to recover this secret in order to achieve a prophecy related to the end of time, not looking at means to acquire it.

The beginning, actually almost the whole book, managed to keep me interesting. The writing, although confusing at some parts, was very nice to follow and able to tell a large amount of historical information without, however, tiring a person (as happened, for example, with the Codex 632, by a Portuguese author). The characters were also quite interesting, with stories that we wanted to follow and by whom we could only hope for the best. The medical notes were also a nice touch, in my opinion, especially the discussion about "cellular memory", which I never heard of before but seems to be an interesting theme. I liked that the book brought a pack with puzzles, but it was with some disappointment that I noticed it wasn't that much necessary to the story. You can do the puzzle, of course and, according to the website The Rose Labyrinth, these riddles might have more secrets, but I still think they could have been included otherwise in history and not just mentioned here and there.

But the worst is really the end. It wasn't anti-climatic, as some other books I've read this year *cough*BreakingDawn*cough*, but leaves a feeling of "Is that all? So much for nothing?", exactly the same reaction I had when reading The Da Vinci Code. It seemed somewhat rushed and wasn't able to explain some loose ends, such as what happened to Dee's heart?

A nice reading but with an end that, unfortunately, disappoints.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read O Labirinto da Rosa.

July 25, 2009 – Shelved
September 6, 2009 –
page 272
September 7, 2009 –
page 313
71.79% "And in the meanwhile I did the puzzle!"
Started Reading