Courtney's Reviews > A Good Dog: The Story of Orson, Who Changed My Life

A Good Dog by Jon Katz

Jul 25, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: animals, autobiography-and-biography, inspirational, reviewed

** spoiler alert ** In some ways, I don't agree with what Jon Katz did. They make medication for anxiety in dogs. I don't feel that he explored EVERY option; in a way, he took the easy way out. That being said, I can also see where he was coming from. Orson was becoming a biter, and an unpredictable one at that. It's a very scary situation when your dog bites someone. Even more so when it's someone your dog knows and has been around many times. What provokes a dog to bite? In the case of the woman working in Katz's garden, why her? She hadn't done anything to Orson. Her only crime appears to be that she decided to move from one spot to another.

It's clear from reading this that Orson was mentally damaged somehow. Some incident, or series of incidents, set him on the path that ultimately led to him having to be put down.

When I got to the last few chapters, I found myself crying at the unfairness of it all. Why couldn't Katz reach Orson? What happened to that poor dog that scarred him so that all of his owner's efforts were in vain? I also found myself looking at my own dog, my 9 year old Akita. I know that in a few more years, I too will be having to make some difficult decisions, when his health begins to decline. I don't look forward to it. I wouldn't wish those kinds of decisions on any dog lover.

I understand what Katz is talking about when he calls some dogs "lifetime dogs". Those are the dogs that change you. My dog has changed me.

They may be dogs, but they're still family. And letting go/losing a family member is never easy.

I hope that with death, Orson found the peace that alluded him in life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Good Dog.

July 25, 2009 – Shelved