Florencia's Reviews > The Alchemist

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

did not like it
bookshelves: i-d-like-a-refund, brazilian-portuguese

"When you want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you to achieve it". Well, I want that week of my life back (yes, a week; I ended up avoiding that thing).
The Aesop's fables that came with my chocolates brought me more inspiration than this book. I knew it wasn't my kind of thing. But, it was a recommendation, and everybody was talking about it, so I tried. He describes a couple of clichés using an annoying writing style. Dream big. Make that dream come true, no matter what. Find your treasure. Shepherd. Universe this, universe that.
I want that week back.

Jun 23, 2013
* Also on my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alchemist.

Started Reading
March 1, 2013 – Finished Reading
June 23, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)

Jibran Agreed 101%. It's terrible, waste of time, an example of showy, portentous writing!

message 2: by Florencia (last edited Apr 05, 2015 06:23PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Florencia Jibran wrote: "Agreed 101%. It's terrible, waste of time, an example of showy, portentous writing!"

Thank you, Jibran. I wasn't even in the mood for writing a proper review for this. I wanted to move on as soon as possible!

message 3: by Jota (new)

Jota Thank you because I almost bought it

message 4: by Sergio (new)

Sergio Arroyo This book is deforestation. Some student gave it to me as a present years ago. I hated the book, but somehow appreciate the gesture though.

message 5: by Evey (new) - added it

Evey I want to be tall and sexy, plus I want a bank account with several millions in it. C'mon universe, I'm waiting for you to start conspiring so I can achieve it!

Ah... This "book". It's utterly ridiculous.

Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog) Coelho deserves wider ridicule; he's like a literary Deepak Chopra.

message 7: by Agnieszka (last edited Apr 06, 2015 12:45AM) (new) - added it

Agnieszka Ha , I'm probably biased against Coelho... He was extremely popular in Poland but I never really wanted to read him. Only some excerpts here and there. Always thought it was pretentious gibberish .

message 8: by Cristina (new)

Cristina I read this book a long time ago. He writes only empty words, so he doesn't deserve to be known as a writer

Fidel Hola, Florencia. ¿No has caído en su magia? :P La verdad es que no me extraña. A los ojos de un lector avezado, Coelho se deshace como un azucarillo en el café.

message 10: by Fidel (new) - rated it 1 star

Fidel Hace tiempo leí un interesante artículo sobre cómo, siendo un escritor tan pobre, Coelho tiene tanto éxito. Te lo dejo por aquí por si te interesa. ¡Un saludo! http://prodavinci.com/2013/04/12/actu...

Dolors Love the title of that shelf Florencia. I think countless readers have felt cheated with Coelho's hollow "philosophy". Regrettably, he has become one of the most wealthy charlatans of modern times! :(

Florencia Jose wrote: "Thank you because I almost bought it"

Well, I don't like discouraging other people from buying it. I just gave my honest opinion and for me this was a waste of time and money. :/

Florencia Sergio wrote: "This book is deforestation. Some student gave it to me as a present years ago. I hated the book, but somehow appreciate the gesture though."

I'm sure he meant well!

Florencia Evey wrote: "I want to be tall and sexy, plus I want a bank account with several millions in it. C'mon universe, I'm waiting for you to start conspiring so I can achieve it!

Ah... This "book". It's utterly rid..."

Ha! I've been asking the same thing, plus intelligent, but no, the universe feels no sense of obligation, Stephen Crane style.

Florencia Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog) wrote: "Coelho deserves wider ridicule; he's like a literary Deepak Chopra."

I have never met Mr. Chopra but I think I would only read his books if my bail depended on it. I would struggle but I think I would read it, under those circumstances...

Florencia Agnieszka wrote: "Ha , I'm probably biased against Coelho... He was extremely popular in Poland but I never really wanted to read him. Only some excerpts here and there. Always thought it was pretentious gibberish ."

And you thought quite right, Agni. :P

Florencia Cristina wrote: "I read this book a long time ago. He writes only empty words, so he doesn't deserve to be known as a writer"

There's an audience for everything!

message 18: by Florencia (last edited Apr 06, 2015 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Florencia Fidel Sánchez Buergo wrote: "Hola, Florencia. ¿No has caído en su magia? :P La verdad es que no me extraña. A los ojos de un lector avezado, Coelho se deshace como un azucarillo en el café."

Muy acertada analogía. ¡Y gracias por el link! Lo había leído hace algún tiempo y considero que explica bastante bien en qué se basa el éxito de ese libro, más allá de "lo fácil, vende". Realmente no es mi intención catalogar a quiénes les ha gustado, pero seguramente se sentirán insultados ante la sola expresión de lo que me pareció este libro. Y bueno...

Florencia Dolors wrote: "Love the title of that shelf Florencia. I think countless readers have felt cheated with Coelho's hollow "philosophy". Regrettably, he has become one of the most wealthy charlatans of modern times! :("

Heh, thank you, Dolors! That is the shelf where legends die. :P I wasn't expecting much, to be honest. And it was worst than I thought. Oh, well!

message 20: by Nandakishore (last edited Apr 06, 2015 09:58AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nandakishore Varma I have said this before: after seeing The Blue Lagoon as a teenager, there's nothing more I wanted than to marry Brooke Shields. But the universe didn't help me. :(

Florencia Joana wrote: "Ver esto me hizo recordar que leí unos cuantos libros de Coelho (no sé por qué me hice eso a mí misma) y el único rescatable fue "Verónika decide morir" porque el resto me pareció TAN malo..."

Si "Florencia decide morir", elegiría volver a leer El Alquimista para concretar el hecho.
Creo que me costaría confiar en otro libro de este caballero. No sé...

Florencia Nandakishore wrote: "I have said this before: after seeing The Blue Lagoon as a teenager, there's nothing more I wanted than to marry Brooke Shields. But the universe didn't help me. :("

Welcome to the club. Many of us have asked, but the universe seem to only acknowledge Coelho. :/

message 23: by Seemita (last edited Apr 06, 2015 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Seemita *Chuckles* for that shelf !!

Jibran Paulo Coelho is a genius though. To create something out of nothing, you know, not many can do that. A massive fan club, a great honey pot of money etc.

Florencia Seemita wrote: "*Chuckles* for that shelf !!"

Heh, luckily, I don't have too many books on it. I have to pick my battles!

Florencia Elham wrote: "Very well-said Florencia! And you're so lucky, I wasted some years of my life by books like The Alchemist :("

Thank you, Elham! Fortunately, you're reading some great books now and compensating the wasted time :P

Florencia Jibran wrote: "Paulo Coelho is a genius though. To create something out of nothing, you know, not many can do that. A massive fan club, a great honey pot of money etc."

A genius in marketing, maybe. In finding soft spots, no doubt. I wish I could say the same thing about his talent for the pen and paper. But it's just my opinion. Certainly, many people liked his works and they sure have their reasons.

message 28: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Russell I want that week back. --- Write to the publisher. Tell them they owe you.

Florencia Glenn wrote: "I want that week back. --- Write to the publisher. Tell them they owe you."

If the universe didn't pay attention to me, I'm guessing the publisher won't listen either. But oh, well, I'll give it a try!

Maricarmen Estrada M I treasure books as real heirlooms, but I have to confess that the two books that I ever threw away in the trash were "The Alchemist" and "A orillas del río Piedra me senté y lloré"... And of course I never got my week back either :/

Florencia Maricarmen wrote: "I treasure books as real heirlooms, but I have to confess that the two books that I ever threw away in the trash were "The Alchemist" and "A orillas del río Piedra me senté y lloré"... And of cours..."

I didn't throw it away but I have to confess that I have no idea where that book is. It's for the best!

Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog) Florencia wrote: "Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog) wrote: "Coelho deserves wider ridicule; he's like a literary Deepak Chopra."

I have never met Mr. Chopra but I think I would only read his ..."

Oh I wouldn't dream of trying to read him, but this sort of thing (if you manage to forget for a while how many people buy into the obviously ridiculous side of the debate) can be entertaining-

Andrew Smith Just didn't much like this one. Much hyped but it didn't really do it for me.

Florencia Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog) wrote: "Florencia wrote: "Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog) wrote: "Coelho deserves wider ridicule; he's like a literary Deepak Chopra."

I have never met Mr. Chopra but I think I wo..."

I'm watching it as I type. Thank you very much for that link!

Florencia Andrew wrote: "Just didn't much like this one. Much hyped but it didn't really do it for me."

I can understand why!

message 36: by Fernando (new)

Fernando Qué bodrio de libro por Dios. Uno de esos pocos que me avergüenzo de haber leído...

message 37: by Fernando (new)

Fernando And somebody call Guy Montag, please...

Maricarmen Estrada M Jejeje... es genial también compartir sentimientos con más personas cuando algo te cae tan mal de verdad. Al leer estos comentarios me gustaría tener el botoncito de "like" para mostrar lo mucho que estoy de acuerdo con ustedes XD

message 39: by Florencia (last edited Jun 10, 2017 06:37AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Florencia Fernando wrote: "Qué bodrio de libro por Dios. Uno de esos pocos que me avergüenzo de haber leído..."

Y... No es uno de los libros que tendría al frente de mi biblioteca.
Don't know if I would call Mr. Montag though. What's done is done. But I would make it a rule to only sell this book in digital form. No tree deserves such fate.

Maricarmen wrote: "Jejeje... es genial también compartir sentimientos con más personas cuando algo te cae tan mal de verdad. Al leer estos comentarios me gustaría tener el botoncito de "like" para mostrar lo mucho qu..."

Una recopilación de comentarios harían un mejor libro. ;D

Erica Sadlier You are so ignorant. And so salty Florencia. You missed huge pieces of that. The importance of the journey. And it really shouldn't have taken you a week to read, it's such an easy read. Read much? 🙄

Florencia Erica wrote: "You are so ignorant. And so salty Florencia. You missed huge pieces of that. The importance of the journey. And it really shouldn't have taken you a week to read, it's such an easy read. Read much? 🙄"

Yes, going from review to review to insult the reviewer who didn't like "your" book shows intelligence and sophistication... :) If you loved it, why do you care what an "ignorant, salty" stranger who apparently doesn't read much (you couldn't even understand the irony, dearie) thinks? You should keep your "journey" far away from my page and also, keep reading these spiritual gems because you just spread so much hate. Thank you for your lovely comment and never come back, please.

message 42: by Jan-Maat (new)

Jan-Maat Maybe Florencia, the universe is trying to tell you to become a shepherdess, or a scrap paper dealer, one or the other?

Florencia Jan-Maat wrote: "Maybe Florencia, the universe is trying to tell you to become a shepherdess, or a scrap paper dealer, one or the other?"

The book itself screams the second option but no, no more Coelhos.

message 44: by Jan-Maat (new)

Jan-Maat which just goes to show that we can take something of value from every book ;)

Florencia Jan-Maat wrote: "which just goes to show that we can take something of value from every book ;)"

You're very optimistic. If reading something and deciding not to ever read that writer again due to the awful experience brought by their book is something of value then sure, a gem of a book.

message 46: by Jan-Maat (new)

Jan-Maat shh! don't tell every one, my optimism is my secret shame! you've also learnt something about people who like this book - I hope that isn't too bitter for you

message 47: by Fede (new)

Fede Erica wrote: "You are so ignorant. And so salty Florencia. You missed huge pieces of that. The importance of the journey. And it really shouldn't have taken you a week to read, it's such an easy read. Read much? 🙄"

What dump were you raised in, you ignorant nutcase? 🤮

Florencia Jan-Maat wrote: "shh! don't tell every one, my optimism is my secret shame! you've also learnt something about people who like this book - I hope that isn't too bitter for you"

You mean, the contradiction between someone's words and actions? Not the biggest of surprises.

Fede wrote: "Erica wrote: "You are so ignorant. And so salty Florencia. You missed huge pieces of that. The importance of the journey. And it really shouldn't have taken you a week to read, it's such an easy re..."

Not worth anyone's time!

message 49: by Fede (new)

Fede But YOU are. So, here I am. :)

message 50: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I read this book years ago and i dont remember a thing.