Jodi's Reviews > Old Dog, New Tricks: Understanding and Retraining Older and Rescued Dogs

Old Dog, New Tricks by David    Taylor

Jul 25, 2009

bookshelves: non-fiction, dogs
Recommended for: Dog lovers
Read in July, 2009

I checked this out of the library in hopes of figuring out how to teach our dog how to give us a signal that he had to go outside. I have never had a dog who hasn't barked or come to me demanding attention when it has a need to go to the bathroom - I didn't teach them that, they just did that naturally. Our current dog is very well-behaved but we take him out on a schedule due to no signals from him. This works okay during the day, but we have had some trouble at night. I am sure if I was awake I would notice his distress but not when I am sleeping. Alas, I didn't get the answer in this book. Although I did enjoy reading about the evolution of dogs, and some basic training tips. There was a chapter on dogs and pica which could prove fruitful though - especially since my dog puts everything in his mouth and recently ate one of the kids' little rubber bouncy balls and then threw it back up in the whee hours of the morning! UGH! Dogs - love 'em but they can have some gross and undesirable habits!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Dog, New Tricks.