Florencia's Reviews > The Prince

The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli

bookshelves: non-fiction, politics, philosophyland, de-jure

This is no Little Prince, that's for sure. You must kill the fox, burn the rose, murder the businessman, if any of them tries to take control over your princedom. There is no time to be nice! There is only time to seem to be nice. At the end of the day, it is better to be feared than loved, if you can't be both. But, keep in mind chapter 23.

The Prince was written in the 16th century, and some of its ideas are too contemporary. It is a major treatise that influenced political leaders, through history. Machiavelli is widely regarded as the father of modern politics, by taking away any trace of theology and morality from his works. (That is something no one has ever said before.) I should have read it long ago, but everything has its time, I guess.

So, there are a lot of concepts that should stay in the book. A few you can apply in ordinary circumstances. But, it delivers what you are waiting for, if you want to know how to have and keep power to yourself, no matter the head you are crushing, and all that with a straight-forward prose. It is short, easy to understand, even though the concept of achieving glory, power and survival, no matter how immoral you have to be..., it is not tough to get; THAT we get.

All that cruelty, wickedness, immorality; all those things apparently needed to achieve greatness, printed long ago in the form of a little book, just like that... From a twisted point of view, sometimes, it is almost a bit funny.
It was an excellent read.
There is no other way to guard yourself against flattery than by making men understand that telling you the truth will not offend you. (137)

Lovely.

* Also on my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince.

June 23, 2013 – Shelved
July 19, 2013 –
page 77
July 19, 2013 –
page 140
100.0% "Excelente obra, desde un retorcido, frío y directo punto de vista. Muchas cosas para sacar y observar, luego :)"
July 19, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Certainly the little prince got more violent when he grew up! ;)

Now, talking seriously... great review, Florencia!

Florencia Alejandro wrote: "Certainly the little prince got more violent when he grew up! ;)

Now, talking seriously... great review, Florencia!"

Heh, thank you very much, Alejandro!

Praj Wonderful piece of writing!

Florencia Praj wrote: "Wonderful piece of writing!"

Thank you for reading this, Praj!

message 5: by Garima (new)

Garima Wonderful review, Florencia and that's a wise quote in the end.

message 6: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Russell Very fine review.

In order to support a family as a young man, I worked for a number of years in an insurance company. Most of the people were acting according to the code of 'The Prince'. I found this back-stabbing, double-talking world a living, suffocating nightmare. When I left I felt as if I was was crawling out of some hell-realm.

Florencia Garima wrote: "Wonderful review, Florencia and that's a wise quote in the end."

Thank you for always finding time to read these little thoughts of mine, Garima :) I really appreciate it.

Florencia Glenn wrote: "Very fine review.

Thank you, Glenn. I agree. A lot of "The Prince" should just stay inside the book. I can really picture that kind of life. I've met some princes and princesses at my work, too.

Jareed Wonderful review, Florencia! The legal profession, which seems to defy its claimed noble history and description, is full with princes and princesses, as you have said.

Florencia Jareed wrote: "Wonderful review, Florencia! The legal profession, which seems to defy its claimed noble history and description, is full with princes and princesses, as you have said."

Thank you very much, Jareed. Sadly, yes. But I've seen them also in a regular office that deals with basic administrative tasks (I work in both). I'm pretty sure they can be found even in a kindergarten. It's all about the people.

message 11: by Dolors (new)

Dolors I found the contrasting parallelism of the introductory paragraph between innocent and tender "Little Prince" and Machiavelli thought-provoking and appropriate in its originality Florencia. I think I would choose scheming leaders, perfidious even, over the generalized blatant stupidity unashamedly displayed by most of the politicians in my country. Another stimulating review which sent my imagination running wild! :)

Florencia Dolors wrote: "I found the contrasting parallelism of the introductory paragraph between innocent and tender "Little Prince" and Machiavelli thought-provoking and appropriate in its originality Florencia. I think..."

Thank you very much for your words, Dolors! And I totally agree with you with your scheming leaders reference :P There's plenty of generalized blatant stupidity in our politicians as well. What a surprise.
Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Petra X Wonderful en pointe review.

Florencia Petra X aka Bubbles wrote: "Wonderful en pointe review."

Thank you very much, Petra.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

A great review of one of my favorite books.

Florencia Sidharth wrote: "A great review of one of my favorite books."

Thanks! A favorite of mine too.

message 17: by Junta (new) - added it

Junta 5-star! Maybe this one is a good candidate to try next for non-fiction. Chapter 23: How to Avoid Flatterers...I see. :-) Great review.

Florencia Junta wrote: "5-star! Maybe this one is a good candidate to try next for non-fiction. Chapter 23: How to Avoid Flatterers...I see. :-) Great review."

Thanks! I don't remember much of it, as usual, so I don't know if my rating would be the same now. But I still think it would be a good choice. :)

Foreign Grid Not the Fox! ;A;