Travelling Cari's Reviews > Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why It Often Sucks in the City, or Who Are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me?

Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster

Sep 20, 2007

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in September, 2007

Yep, another literary treasure from Jen Lancaster, who also wrote Bitter is the New Black, which hit the shelves at the tail end of when she was writing this book. I bought this at the end of August but apparently had never registered it. Whoops.

Apart from? her annoying habit of random question marks (while at the same time railing on those who use LOL), this book was pretty good. Some interesting bits:

-very surprised she calls herself a republican. Politics don't play a huge part in the book but they are mentioned and one of my favourite spots was the PS in a letter to America that read, "If I could endure the fraternity party otherwise known as the Clinton administration, you can deal with President Churchy McJesus." That made me laugh - unforunately I was on the train at the time which is only slightly less odd than Chicago's mass transport.

She's got a thing for "Mc" - Slutty McGabsalot makes an appearance later. She gets props for fun names :)

Her book is also full of some very good lines:

"Here's a quick rule of thumb: no meeting requests to anyone you've seen naked, okay?"

"I ask for the Marquis deSade and instead I get an Olsen twin"

I liked it in that it's different from some books wherein you've read the blog, you've read the book. The two dove tail from one another but they're not exact replicas which is nice.

Live Serena Mackesy's The Temp I could identify with her temping stints. At the moment, I'm glad I'm done with that. Some were great but some you definitely held on for the end of the assignment.

My comment about Becky/Shopaholic holds true from the first book - there are times I want to slap her. Shallow gets old, but its funny to read. I think I'd go nuts if she were someone I had to deal with on a daily basis.

All this said, if there is a third book - I'll probably buy it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Lights, Big Ass.

Barbara I thought the question marks were a printing error, they don't make sense otherwise where they show up.