Jo ★The Book Sloth★'s Reviews > Heart of Obsidian

Heart of Obsidian by Nalini Singh

This book was so awesome. It's definitely in my top 3 in the series.

Since I enjoyed this system on my previous review I will use it again to make clear what I like about this book the most!

The couple: ★★★★★
The heroine: ★★★★★★★★★★
The hero: ★★★★★★★
The plot: ★★★★★
The limited POVS: ★★★★★
Aden & Vasic: ★★★★★

I won't name the heroes although I'm pretty sure there aren't many people who haven't heard who they are anymore. Still...

The hero

What can I say about the "Obsidian" male? He is definitely in my top ten list of book heroes as of now. He is sexy, powerful, ruthless and loyal to a single woman. For her he would destroy the world(literally) but for her he would also save it. His love for the heroine doesn't make him "soft", just makes him think hard before being doing something bad! I LOVED him. I have a think for anti-heros and bad boys and he is certainly both but the heroine gives him a conciense or more accurately she IS his consciense. I am tempted to fight Ang for rights over him.

The heroine

Now the heroine was the best thing in this book. She was beyond the good mark. The girl was such a beautiful surprise. After being imprisoned for 7 years and treated like an animal she has the strength to go on with her life, to be thankful for the things she got back, to forgive the ones who harmed her, to dance with the most frightening man in the world. I respect her strength of character and loved the fact that she didn't have one whiny comment, one self-pitying instant. She was exactly what I like in my heroines, gutsy, brave, forgiving, compassionate and so damn strong. I would recommend this book to everyone just based on her.

The story was nice. Especially the romance related stuff. I enjoyed how their love grew and developed over the years and how they never lost their faith in each other even when the heroine couldn't remember anything of her life. Such a beautiful love story!

The plot in general was interesting. I liked the hero's displays of power and the way the heroines good nature made him a better person. I kind of liked the way the "war" progressed (view spoiler) But this was no surprise. Nalini Singh has proven many times that she knows how to write an arresting book and this is one of her best.

This book is definitely a 5 and I certainly forget many things I wanted to adress in my review but for now that's all!;)

1st re-read 26/08/2014

This book only gets better. I have so much respect for the heroine. The second time only added to it. And the hero gets more sexy every time...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Obsidian.

June 21, 2013 – Started Reading
June 21, 2013 – Shelved
June 22, 2013 –
7.0% " “The rumor in the Net is that I can drive people insane.”\n “Can you?”\n “Yes.[...] “Until they see phantoms and hear terrible voices, until they can no longer exist in the rational world and become broken facsimiles of who they once were.”\n “Why?”\n “Because I can.” \n \n Oh My...\n \n [image error]"
June 24, 2013 –
7.0% " Sahara’s eyes were haunted when they met his. “Am I so important to you?”“Yes,” he said. “You’re everything.” The entire reason for his existence. \n \n \n \n I'm dying here. I may even come to blows with Angela for him in the end!!!"
June 26, 2013 –
51.0% " “Men,” he said at last, body as motionless as stone and voice without inflection, “aren’t supposed to be raped.” \n \n I know Nalini probably didn't mean for it to sound like this but it seems such a bad, sexist comment.\n \n "
June 27, 2013 –
74.0% " “You,” she whispered. “It’s you!” \n \n Finally...WE KNOW!!!\n \n \n \n I LOVE HIM!!! I'm even thinking of cheating on Hawke!:P"
June 29, 2013 –
100.0% "Ohh...Oh my!! This was perfect! I don't know if it was the best book in the series but it definitely had the BEST heroine EVER! Yes, the hero was super sexy but for me the female protagonist was as good as they come... Detailed rev coming up!"
June 29, 2013 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
June 29, 2013 – Finished Reading
February 14, 2014 – Shelved as: my-precious
February 18, 2014 – Shelved as: need-to-reread
August 24, 2014 –
0.0% "I need a dose of Nalini and I wanted to re-read this great book for a long time!\n \n " (Hardcover Edition)
August 25, 2014 –
56.0% " “So we literally made the earth move?” \n A slight pause, before Kaleb said, “I suggest we don’t engage in sex in populated areas.” \n \n "

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Angela LOVE! *sigh*

message 4: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo ★The Book Sloth★ Al I've read about ten pages so far. We have out of town relatives staying for the weekend and my already limite reading time has shrunk even more!:P

I like what I see so far!(view spoiler)

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ Great review Jo! Glad that you loved this book, too! :D

message 6: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Jo, I loved your review and thank you so much for not naming the hero and heroine! I totally appreciate people like you, who don't want to ruin things for others..I purposely have stayed clear of the reviews for this book because I have wanted to stay in the dark. So I am extremely happy that I could read yours! It sounds awesome and I can hardly wait to read it now!

message 7: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo ★The Book Sloth★ Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ wrote: "Great review Jo! Glad that you loved this book, too! :D"

I have an easy 5 tbh but this one was definitely worth it!

Jen wrote: "Jo, I loved your review and thank you so much for not naming the hero and heroine! I totally appreciate people like you, who don't want to ruin things for others..I purposely have stayed clear of t..."

I have to admit that I usually use spoilers but this one was ruined for me by a spoilerish SU and I wouldn't want to do that to someone else! You should read it. It's worth every minute.

Kristalia ahahahahahahah no names hahahahhaha
love the review <3

message 9: by xrysa (new) - added it

xrysa Awesome review Jo :D
I was thinking about starting the series and I might do it!!

message 10: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo ★The Book Sloth★ Kristalia (◡‿◡✿) wrote: "ahahahahahahah no names hahahahhaha
love the review <3"

Thnks Kris!

kristina wrote: "Awesome review Jo :D
I was thinking about starting the series and I might do it!!"

Yeees you definitely should try it!

message 11: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo ★The Book Sloth★ Hahahahaahahha

11 "good" books so you won't have a hard time!xD

azerjaban I LOVE YOUR KALEB!

Alexandra Have the book on hardback! I can't wait to finish "Tangle of Need"!

Fani *loves angst* I'd like to post a complaint: you've given more stars to the heroine instead of the hero! Really? I mean, Kaleb is THE BEST. I demand this attrocious insult to be corrected asap:)

message 15: by Exina (new)

Exina Love your cast! Awesome review, Jo!

message 16: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo ★The Book Sloth★ Fani wrote: "I'd like to post a complaint: you've given more stars to the heroine instead of the hero! Really? I mean, Kaleb is THE BEST. I demand this attrocious insult to be corrected asap:)"

I admit that Kaleb is a drool-worthy, awesome, want-him-now guy. But Sahara is special. She was more "unique" as a character. It's not everyday you meet heroines like her.