Sarah's Reviews > Negligence

Negligence by Robert Gregory Browne

bookshelves: robert-gregory-browne

Negligence is the second book in Robert Gregory Browne's Trial Junkies series.

The book starts off with this kid, Jamal, who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, who has been arrested for murdering a classmate, Kelly. Matt and Monica, members of the trial junkies and friends of Ethan "Hutch" Hutchinson, are sitting in on his arraignment. Matt has been recently laid of from his job at the Post as a reporter and is now trying his hand at online reporting for The Chicago Beat, a joint venture with Monica. After an altercation in the court room that sends Jamal to the hospital, Matt, Monica, & Hutch (who has arrived late to the courthouse), decide to see if they can get in to talk to Jamal. Matt uses Hutch's previous famous actor status as a ploy to get into the hospital & is able to sneak in and talk to Jamal, after which he is convinced there is something more going on then a clear cut case of murder.

Matt starts investigating Jamal's story of being set up and figuring out that somehow the police are involved. This leads him to the prestigious Eccelston Academy, which was argued as Chicago's finest preparatory school, where he finds things aren't exactly as they seem. After an attack on Matt leaves him the hospital, Hutch decides to continue Matt's investigation. From here, the pace picks up and just when you think you know what's going to happen next, you find out you're wrong.

I, personally, really enjoyed this book a little more then the first TRIAL JUNKIES. I feel the characters had more substance and I liked how Robert gave another character, Matt, a larger role in the story. Hutch still is a prominent character in this book but I like the idea of giving each member of the trial junkies group a chance to shine, so to speak. Since Robert did introduce us to all the trial junkies, it's nice to see their development instead of just being there for background. The pace of the book is just right to keep you wondering what's going to happen next. I would definitely recommend this book and look forward to more trial junkie adventures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Negligence.

Started Reading