Julie Davis's Reviews > Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ

Ben-Hur by Lew Wallace

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read August 28, 2017 to August 31, 2017.

Having just watched the 2016 Ben Hur (which was inferior to the classic 1959 film, but very interesting as a companion piece), I decided to reread the book because my memory of it is muddled by all the film versions. Enjoying it so far and surprised by some of the book facts that the movies changed.

========

I'm listening to the LibriVox recording by Mark F. Smith. AND reading the Readers' Digest version which is unabridged and has illustrations on every page. It's the next best thing to watching a movie while I read.

I read this story many years ago, long before I was Christian. Certainly it long before I picked up the fact that the author was a Civil War General ... which somehow just makes the book that much more interesting. I also recently was in a conversation in which I learned that Ben-Hur was the Harry Potter of its day. Since people couldn't afford to travel, this was a great way to combine exotic travelogue and an inspiring tale.

I decided it was time to revisit the book. And so here I am ... we shall see if my three-star review changes or not since it wasn't based on the story but on my perception of the writing quality.

FINAL
Still enjoyable and holds up but my star rating holds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ben-Hur.

June 21, 2013 – Shelved
June 25, 2013 –
page 125
20.16% "I remembered that the book began with the three wise men telling their tales in the desert before proceeding to find the Christ child. However, I didn't recall at all the story going on to tell of the Nativity. It makes me wonder what else I don't remember. It is a long book after all and I have been very influenced by the movie ... Judah Ben Hur will always look like Charlton Heston in my mind."
April 28, 2015 – Started Reading
April 29, 2015 – Finished Reading
August 28, 2017 – Started Reading
August 31, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina I've been wanting to read this for a long time. I consider the movie one of the best I've ever seen.

Julie Davis Christina wrote: "I've been wanting to read this for a long time. I consider the movie one of the best I've ever seen."

Ah, but which movie? 1907, 1925, 1959, 2003, or the miniseries?

I'm just joshin'. Surely you mean the Charlton Heston film. I've always meant to watch the 1925 silent version though. A lot of film stars were so interested in the chariot race that they went into the stands as unpaid extras so they could watch.

message 3: by booklady (new)

booklady Julie,

Julie Davis booklady wrote: "Julie,

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who gets herself overextended by reading too many books at one time... (sigh)"

Oh yes, I do it all the time. Then I have to prune severely! Which hurts but ultimately is a relief.

message 5: by Fonch (new)

Fonch Very interesting review Mrs. Julie :-).