Thomas's Reviews > The 5th Wave

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

2018505

bookshelves: own-electronic, young-adult, science-fiction, dystopia, read-on-kindle
Recommended to Thomas by: Athira

The first of work of young-adult fiction to impress me in four months. Rick Yancey writes about an alien invasion of the earth that takes place over several waves. Our protagonist, Cassie, has lost everyone - except for her younger brother Sammy, who she has made it her sole mission to rescue. Yancey shows us many characters' perspectives, including Ben Parish, a former high school football player Cassie once had a crush on, who now fights against the Others in an attempt to save the world.

I loved the tight and fast-paced plot of this story, its themes of trust vs. distrust and how to find purpose in a meaningless world, and the development of Ben Parish as well as Cassie and Evan's relationship. Yancey takes us right into the action while unfolding The 5th Wave's backstory at a solid speed. Throughout the book I found myself whisper-screaming "oh my Grande, oh my Grande, oh my Grande" in anticipation of the characters' actions. While I cheered on Ben the most, I also found myself rooting for Cassie and Evan's relationship, which surprised me because I tend to stray away from quick romances. Perhaps Cassie's wit and her fight for independence within the relationship won me over.

I wanted just a little more from the characters in The 5th Wave. While I hoped for all of their survivals - I guess it would have been cruel if I did not - I detected some areas for development, which may take place in the second book. Now that this installment has worn off some of the story's more mysterious intrigue, I wonder where its sequel, The Infinite Sea, will take it.

Overall, recommended to fans of young-adult science-fiction and dystopia, as well as to those who want to see the movie. Hoping the second book delves even deeper than the first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 5th Wave.

June 21, 2013 – Shelved
January 8, 2016 – Started Reading
January 10, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Summer (new) - added it

Summer I still haven't read this one yet, but I'm really happy that you enjoyed it! And glad you were able to fit it in in time for the film's release. Do you have any plans on seeing the movie?

Thomas I might see it, Summer! The thing is: I have a super low tolerance for watching gore/violence. However, they made the movie PG-13, and with that rating I could withstand watching The Hunger Games and all of its installments - so I may read some of the reviews first and then decide. Are you going to try to read it before the movie comes out?

Marisa I was thinking the same thing with the movie! I think I'm mostly leaning towards seeing it as well

Thomas Please let me know what you think of it if you watch the movie, Marisa! Hope you enjoy it.

Cheska the Great is Not Okay Just got home from watching the movie. I haven't gotten my hands on the book yet because I'm waiting for school to start so I can borrow it from the library. Overall it was enjoyable but not exceptionally mindblowing. I'm hoping the book would be much better. :)

Thomas Rick Grimes wrote: "Just got home from watching the movie. I haven't gotten my hands on the book yet because I'm waiting for school to start so I can borrow it from the library. Overall it was enjoyable but not except..."

I'm curious to read what you think of the book after having watched the movie, because you will already know the big plot points. Still, I hope you enjoy it and thanks for letting me know your opinion of the movie!

A Random Enthusiast Great review! I hope the movie is also enjoyable. I heard some mixed reviews about it from my friends and they said it was somewhat different from the book-in the bad way. I may just stick with the books, since I absolutely loved the first one. Guess we'll have to watch it to decide for ourselves!

Thomas Honora wrote: "Great review! I hope the movie is also enjoyable. I heard some mixed reviews about it from my friends and they said it was somewhat different from the book-in the bad way. I may just stick with the..."

Ugh, perhaps I will not see the movie then. Thank you for your kind compliment, Honora, and I am glad you read the book before potentially seeing the film so you have its words already embedded within your perspective.